Like Tree13Likes

Phone Check Border Crossing - Leave it in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RachelR:
    No one checks your phone in the US don't be stupid. The only regulation is that you not be on your phone while going through customs.
    of course they don't

Searches of travellers' laptops and mobile phones at the US border have nearly quadrupled since 2015, digital rights groups have claimed in a federal lawsuit.
    There were 33,295 searches of travellers' devices in the 2018 financial year.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-48118558
    chuckster007, si0001 and Skyhook like this.

There were 33,295 searches of travellers' devices in the 2018 financial year.
    USA has about 80m international visitors a year. According to those figures about 0.04% of travelers get checked, that is 1 in 2500. Figures may be a bit higher if your first name is Ali or Mohamed, and lower for Tom, Harry & Kate.

Follow up question... I have decided to bring an old phone as I simply do not like people handling my in use phone. So what is a good prepaid SIM card to buy which I can use over there. If it is also useable here that would be great. I hope to purchase this at 7-11 oif possible. This whole phone thing is quite annoying to say the least.

I plan to add email and a few photos along with some random IM app and that will be it. Any potential issues with that? BTW I am not a millenial. I am foreigner business person. I dont see why they need to harrass people like this.

I am foreigner business person. I dont see why they need to harrass people like this.
    Perhaps you need to review some of your posts on here and consider why your naive self-indignance is amusing.
    Edwardstorm and jimbo like this.

Any thoughts on VPN's? Should they be removed before entering China?

I'm from the UK. Late 50's white westerner. I got a 6 month tourist visa for China back in May. I used it a couple of times for a weekend in xiamen and a day trip to Shenzhen. No issues/checks back then. We haven't been since as we were on holidays over the summer. My wife and I wanted to do do a couple more China visits before the visa runs out in November. Just not so sure now.

Am I being silly to be a little nervous about going over the border in the light of recent events?

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    Any thoughts on VPN's?
    Yes, they are very useful in China.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    Should they be removed before entering China?
    No. Why? They are not illegal or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Yes, they are very useful in China.

No. Why? They are not illegal or anything.
    I seem to remember being told/reading that you could be fined for having a vpn in China?

birdie works in HK and you can roam in mainland for 15 HKD per day. order online and pickup at 759

Quote Originally Posted by it_guy:
    birdie works in HK and you can roam in mainland for 15 HKD per day. order online and pickup at 759
    Thank you very much. Seems I need to sign up for a plan then when roaming need pay seperately but its ala carte so thats good. Do I need to maintain the plan to stay a customer? In other words, I choose the minimilast plan, buy my China roaming for one day. Then not use this at (nor pay anything) all until the next time as I wont be booted off the plan for non payment monthly?
    Last edited by RMDNC; 20-09-2019 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Perhaps you need to review some of your posts on here and consider why your naive self-indignance is amusing.
    I think I'm one of the higher revenue generators for you in terms of clicks for posts read. I know you await my commentary and my participation is vital - despite you sending me offensive messages like "have no time to babysit." What the heck was that all about?. In a study of your website, a lot of old timers have dropped out. Traffic not as great as before based on Alexa and others. Got some interesting new opinions, some insightful partricipants (like me) and some narcissits who need the last word remain as well. lol