Like Tree32Likes

What is the point of Terminal 2 at HKIA?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sam Chui is a cool aviation geek, I love watching his youtube reviews of different airlines and aircraft.
    emx, chuckster007 and junichitsuyo like this.

The changes to T1 are now complete

https://www.hongkongairport.com/iwov...19issue138.pdf

Extra 20 or so immigration desks. Probably still a low take up of automated teller check-in and bag drop compared to other terminals so still quite a bit of capacity I would guess.

T2 served no purpose in it's current state.

Last edited by East_coast; 02-12-2019 at 07:12 AM.
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    T2 served no purpose in it's current state.
    I looked back at T2 planning documents. During construction it was known as Skyplaza, so more of shopping mall then.

No point to the third runway either as Hong Kong’s decline to the status of a minor Chinese city continues.

Mcdonalds was gone last time I went. Hope they are bringing it back It's the only reasonably priced food outlet there!

Quote Originally Posted by Mary 2:
    No point to the third runway either as Hong Kong’s decline to the status of a minor Chinese city continues.
    I...might not go so far as to say that at this point. A lot depends on how this crisis will be resolved. If it is peacefully settled to the satisfaction of all parties, then demand should pick up again and this downturn should only be temporary. This means air traffic will pick up again and the two runway system will be maxed out eventually. So there may be a need for a third runway.

But a bigger issue beyond the runway is air space optimization over the Pearl River Delta. You have several big airports in Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Macau and Zhuhai all fighting for limited space and not willing to cooperate over this issue, this has impeded traffic and capacity growth in the area.