Like Tree77Likes

Where to escape to for a couple of months?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    I am actively considering the Busan option actually. It does make sense.
    Unless at some time Korea or the Philippines impose travel restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    I am actively considering the Busan option actually. It does make sense.
    If you have an Australian passport, you can stay for 90 days visa free. Working remotely shouldn't be an issue.
    Internet is fast, roaming internet is pretty cheap. Cost of living is okay compared to Hong Kong. I personally think food in korean >> hong kong. ymmv.

No uber, so local taxis may be a bit of headache, but they do offer free translation service. Kakoataxi is okay substitute for uber..

ymmv.
    Mr Chips likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal
    Busan.

Cheaper than Fukuoka (which is also very nice), new art museum, great seafood and lots of western buffets and restos.

Hiking right out your front door almost anywhere in the city. Excellent public transport (every station even has washrooms).
    Busan is cheaper than Fukuoka? I didn't imagine this was the case, but have never been to Busan.

Can you elaborate on the cost differences?

For either place - infrastructure (internet / mass transit / hospitals, etc) should be 1st world great.

Quote Originally Posted by chichow
    Busan is cheaper than Fukuoka? I didn't imagine this was the case, but have never been to Busan.

Can you elaborate on the cost differences?

For either place - infrastructure (internet / mass transit / hospitals, etc) should be 1st world great.
    Japan is in general a fair margin more expensive than Korea.

Take taxis Japan, starts at about $5 then $1 increments. Korea $3 and smaller increments.

Internet is top 3 in world and services are excellent.

Transport is simpler, cheaper.

I'm certain rent is also less but haven't looked at JP for a long time

Eating out you def get more for your money in Korea, Japan every extra is added to the bill.

Here's a breakdown but Busan is also significantly cheaper than Seoul:

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...country2=Japan
    Last edited by Cornmeal; 14-02-2020 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo_jones
    If you have an Australian passport, you can stay for 90 days visa free. Working remotely shouldn't be an issue.
    Internet is fast, roaming internet is pretty cheap. Cost of living is okay compared to Hong Kong. I personally think food in korean >> hong kong. ymmv.

No uber, so local taxis may be a bit of headache, but they do offer free translation service. Kakoataxi is okay substitute for uber..

ymmv.
    We were just in Korea, although, we were in Seoul... internet, we bought 2 sims with net access in HK before we went for 50HKD each and both lasted for 5 days with me using maps and the kids playing games, etc... I downloaded a few movies from Netflix for the flight... so internet is cheap... I thought taxis were about 30% more expensive than HK, but relatively cheap compared to the rest of the world! One weird thing, all the taxis were new, big, nice and clean Hyundais but they were all driven by extremely old people, kinda scary.

Food was ace... I love Korean BBQ and there's loads of chook based stuff too. Hardly anyone can speak English but they have this number 1330 you can call and someone translates for you... it's awesome!
    Coolboy and joanfung like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal
    Japan is in general a fair margin more expensive than Korea.

Take taxis Japan, starts at about $5 then $1 increments. Korea $3 and smaller increments.

Internet is top 3 in world and services are excellent.

Transport is simpler, cheaper.

I'm certain rent is also less but haven't looked at JP for a long time

Eating out you def get more for your money in Korea, Japan every extra is added to the bill.

Here's a breakdown but Busan is also significantly cheaper than Seoul:

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...country2=Japan
    Yes... we chose Korea over Hokkaido as we thought a Hokkaido trip would have ended being around 20% more expensive and our budget was very tight...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips
    Yes... we chose Korea over Hokkaido as we thought a Hokkaido trip would have ended being around 20% more expensive and our budget was very tight...
    I enjoy both Seoul and Tokyo, but I would say that in general Japan is nicer while Korea maybe almost as nice and cheaper.

I mention this as Korea is noted to be good skiing for value compared to Japan but if I had to only do it once then Hokkaido all the way

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman
    i would move to a deserted island.
    I'd prefer a desserted island.

Name:  shutterstock_540746848.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  261.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips
    We were just in Korea, although, we were in Seoul... internet, we bought 2 sims with net access in HK before we went for 50HKD each and both lasted for 5 days with me using maps and the kids playing games, etc... I downloaded a few movies from Netflix for the flight... so internet is cheap... I thought taxis were about 30% more expensive than HK, but relatively cheap compared to the rest of the world! One weird thing, all the taxis were new, big, nice and clean Hyundais but they were all driven by extremely old people, kinda scary.

Food was ace... I love Korean BBQ and there's loads of chook based stuff too. Hardly anyone can speak English but they have this number 1330 you can call and someone translates for you... it's awesome!
    Hmm, I would say taxis are closer to 10% more (again slightly less in other cities) but you get a lot more for that price, like a an exceptionally clean new car and a reasonably friendly driver. Yes, quite a few 60+ drivers, always glued to the GPS, rather annoying in some instances as I know the city and don't need one yet they must punch in the address!

Food in Seoul is also easily 20~30% more than other places, depending on the type, and the quality, side dishes and service are less.

I found English is much more widely spoken than in the past (especially in Seoul), I was surprised when I spoke Korean and got answers in English, I would say most young people (of course depends on edu) can speak reasonable English as the gov made a concerted push towards EFL studies 12-15yrs ago.

Quote Originally Posted by chichow
    I enjoy both Seoul and Tokyo, but I would say that in general Japan is nicer while Korea maybe almost as nice and cheaper.

I mention this as Korea is noted to be good skiing for value compared to Japan but if I had to only do it once then Hokkaido all the way
    I always enjoyed the contrast of visiting Fukuoka for the slightly cleaner and less chaotic streets and while the people there are very nice/helpful (out of a sense of duty?) I also found them generally cold and not very genuine.

I find Koreans are more authentic, some might say also more emotional in comparison, but easy to have a good time with, of course with appropriate servings of soju!

Of course I'm highly biased in favour of the ROK as I consider it my 2nd home
    Coolboy and Mr Chips like this.

BKK is the easiest and most straightforward option.

biffski likes this.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast