Like Tree66Likes

Where to escape to for a couple of months?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Where to escape to for a couple of months?

Needing to work in Philppines means I need to escape. We are "sussing out" Bangkok this week, but are not wedded to it.

Looking for any suggestions I might not have thought of!

Key Criteria include:

* proximity to Manila and ability to fly there (rules out Taiwan)
    * have reasonable priced accomodation for short term rentals
    * decent selection of western food
    * has hills and ability to hike in them (or some other form of fun outdoor recreational activity that burns calories)

At the moment we have a short list of BKK, KL and Penang. None of which tick all the boxes. Looking for that illusive imaginary place I have not yet thought of.....!

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    Needing to work in Philppines means I need to escape. We are "sussing out" Bangkok this week, but are not wedded to it.

Key Criteria include:

* has hills and ability to hike in them (or some other form of fun outdoor recreational activity that burns calories)

At the moment we have a short list of BKK, KL and Penang. None of which tick all the boxes. Looking for that illusive imaginary place I have not yet thought of.....!
    How about Phuket?

I don't know, decent selection of Western wood? I think in times like this you have to let go of unnecessary expat luxuries and prepare to tighten the belt and put up with less-than-ideal conditions for the sake of keeping your job.

You mentioned Malaysia? There could be cases popping up there. Same for Indonesia. Everything is fine over there, but once there are cases, their ability to handle outbreaks might not be any better than China.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 13-02-2020 at 06:59 PM.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Guam?

Key Criteria include:

Bali seems like an obvious choice to me...
    monomono and spode like this.

Chiangmai isn't a bad idea -- much less crowded compared to Bangkok too.

I stayed there for a whole month and they have very good cafes with decent internet if you want to just lay low and work remotely for a while. Depending on what passport you hold, they only give 30 days visa free access to most western passport holders.

HK_Katherine likes this.

tck

Lol. I was just thinking about getting out of HK for a few weeks and going to Manila (I know I know, travel restrictions)

Why not stay in Manila? Or lots of resort hotels dotted throughout the Philippines.

East_coast likes this.

Key Criteria include:

How About Kota Kinabalu? Unless things have changed Air Asia and Cebu Pacific has direct flight, lots of hotel options, ok western food choice but maybe pricey, and you can definitely do hiking up Mt. Kinabalu or go to nearby islands for activities?

Vietnam?

Okinawa?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast