Like Tree12Likes

Trip to Zhuhai

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

ä»Žç–«æƒ…ä¸¥é‡å›½å®¶æ ¥ç²¤ 一律隔离观察14天  Â å¹¿ä¸œçœäººæ°‘政府 门户网站

The Guangdong government website says travellers from "South Korea, Italy, Iran, Japan etc and other infected countries" will have to be quarantined. Emphasis mine. There is a lot of leeway in that statement, but from reports online everyone is being quarantined.
    You are free to drive to Zhuhai and report back

Do you mean that HK is considered an "infected country"? There's a pretty big scale difference between HK's case load and the others in that list. But yeah, it's vague as hell... Not sure if I'm up for the gamble or not...

i am in zhuhai now. I came to zhuhai by the bridge on March 6th. (FYI, they now have a fixed schedule now. when I came back, I was told once every hour. So if I didn't catch the current bus I would have to wait an hour.)

This was before the Beijing quaruntine law, but I did have some issues coming in. I travelled by US passport as I am not a HK citizen (no HRP). I had to wait almost 30 mins to be processed and there was no line. I think they were deciding whether or not i could even enter Zhuahi. I think the only reason they let me in was because my son was with me and he does have an HRP. The reason I had to wait so long was because i had to wait for an immigration official to get dressed up in full medical gear to process me. I also had to go through a different immigration line. The Customs officials cared more about where I was from than what was in my bag as they saw me using the special line.

As far as i can tell, the quaruntine law is just for Beijing as all the news only says Beijing. As the law changes every day, i cannot say if you will or will not be quaruntined in Zhuhai. I believe that it will be up to the Immigration official that you get and how they interpret the current laws.

Make sure to have a chinese translation for the address of wherever you are staying. Also contact information for someone in China (with a china number) as a secondary contact source.

I think it is ok for you to try. The worse case if you don't want to be quaruntined or they won't let you in is that you just go back to HK. I doubt they will force it on you as long as you didn't enter the country.

edit to add: I am not under quaruntine and did not have to be quaruntined.

Morrison likes this.

Resurrecting this thread- have a business need to travel to Zhuhai- does anyone know when this will be possible from HK? Opening in June? Heard a rumor. If so, is there any transport? Private car? Shuttle bus? HK people only ("one country") or gweilo with China visa as well?

Thanks in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Resurrecting this thread- have a business need to travel to Zhuhai- does anyone know when this will be possible from HK? Opening in June? Heard a rumor. If so, is there any transport? Private car? Shuttle bus? HK people only ("one country") or gweilo with China visa as well?

Thanks in advance...
    The border crossing in Zhuhai is still open, but you will have to undergo 14 day quarantine. Furthermore all visas and residence permits issued before 26.03.2020 are currently invalid for travel to China. If you are traveling to China for necessary economic trade you can apply for a new visa which will allow you to go to Zhuhai right now.
    MABinPengChau and shri like this.

I thought that the whole point now was to "work from home" aka. use technology like Zoom to conduct video conferences not personally turn up.

Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex:
    I thought that the whole point now was to "work from home" aka. use technology like Zoom to conduct video conferences not personally turn up.
    Believe me, it's not my idea. The idea of 14 days in quarantine in Zhuhai sounds like hell on earth as I imagine I won't even have any English-language TV to keep my company and who knows if I can get YouTube and Netflix in quarantine with whatever Internet I am offered. Pretty sure the price is sky-high as well, I heard the Shenzhen daily rate was expensive.

And then I imagine it's another 14 days of quarantine in HK upon return.

Pretty much going to wait and see if there is any relaxation at the end of May/beginning of June- like, do a private test, test negative, eliminate quarantine. Apply for visa with test results and letter from clients showing economic activity needs, whatever reason they need to let me come in.
    shri likes this.

Regulations are slowly relaxing. See this for example.
    https://www.itc.gov.hk/en/whatsnew/20200518.html

MABinPengChau likes this.

Personally I believe the mandatory quarantine will only be lifted once the temporary Huanggang port buildings have been completed. The Huanggang port is going to be renovated and they are building temporary clearance facilities where the container truck clearing used to be. According to some newspapers the facilities are done but the systems still have be tested. I think the only reason they haven't lifted the travel ban is that nobody could actually cross at Huanggang at the moment and Shenzhen Bay doesn't have the capacity to handle the whole traffic. A mandatory quarantine is a great way to prevent people from wanting to cross the border.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    Regulations are slowly relaxing. See this for example.
    https://www.itc.gov.hk/en/whatsnew/20200518.html
    The Trade Department isn't even giving an approximate timeline for the exemption applications. They neither answer their phone nor do they answer emails. The systems just sends out automated emails every 14 days to tell you that "This is to acknowledge receipt of your email enquiry / application(s), we will reply to you as soon as possible.". It's an embarrassing display of government incompetence. And in any event the exemption would only apply to the 14 days quarantine in HK, not China. So you still wouldn't be able to just travel to China on short notice.
    drumbrake likes this.

Well, coworkers are investigating the possibility of my getting a (new) China visa and I will test the hospitality of the Zhuhai quarantine facilities if I get the visa. A coworker will move into my flat and enjoy the hospitality (or lack thereof) of my cats. We have an office in Shenzhen, if I can get the visa, I may just go there to work after Zhuhai until HK lifts quarantine. Will let everyone know if this works out (or not).