Like Tree22Likes

Cathay - Unlimited Ticket Changes - Good Deal?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Has anyone found any good deals? Flights to Europe in Business are still 35k-40k per person, in June/July/October. There don't seem to be any differences in price.
    Buy economy, take up entire row, stretch out and enjoy! That's been my "poor man's economy" for the last 18 months of trips to DC (that plane has never been crowded, I pick my seat in the very back and all of us back there have our own rows). Pretty sure if you go as early as June you can enjoy the whole row.

I don't think I am ever going to find lower than 5800 for a 15-16 hour flight...probably just barely covers the cost of fuel (well, fuel prices have sunk so low, it's a good time for the airlines).

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Buy economy, take up entire row, stretch out and enjoy! That's been my "poor man's economy" for the last 18 months of trips to DC (that plane has never been crowded, I pick my seat in the very back and all of us back there have our own rows). Pretty sure if you go as early as June you can enjoy the whole row.

I don't think I am ever going to find lower than 5800 for a 15-16 hour flight...probably just barely covers the cost of fuel (well, fuel prices have sunk so low, it's a good time for the airlines).
    It's not the same . Annoyingly flying Cathay from Europe to HK is only 2000 Euro, so roughly half the price. Now that's just taking the piss.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    It's not the same . Annoyingly flying Cathay from Europe to HK is only 2000 Euro, so roughly half the price. Now that's just taking the piss.
    Only 2000 Euro?! From where? Wow, for me, if the flight originates in the US, it costs MORE. For my route, Business Class is about 78,000 HKD, no way I am wasting that kind of money when I know I can have the whole economy row for 5800. I am able to sleep under most conditions and I get 3 pillows AND 3 blankets! Hooray! I usually pick the seats near those set aside for unaccompanied minors- almost the last row and no one wants to sit near them. I got one of the ticket agents to even block off the rest of my row as unavailable for seating when I checked in from DC to HK. For the extra 73,000 HKD I think I could have a fabulous vacation somewhere else...or just another 5.5 months of rent.

And this is why I will never be more than Marco Polo Green...or brown, or black or whatever the total loser color is...
    shri and bdw like this.

I’m not seeing any price discounts on Cathay back to UK and quite cheekily on Premium economy they’re adding another 6K to the return leg from the advertised price on the first booking page

Quote Originally Posted by tf19:
    On a slight tangent CX just sent a note to all Marco Polo club members that 1) status would be be automatically be renewed for 12 months and 2) mid-tier benefits expiry would also be extended for 12 months.

As a Diamond CX member with 4 upgrades expiring in later this month I'm quite happy with this announcement (assuming that travel can resume within the next few months)
    Is there anything official from CX about this? I'm Diamond too and my status expires this month and didn't receive any e-mail from CX indicating an extension. Also checked my account online and still the same.

Quote Originally Posted by johnclipper1:
    Is there anything official from CX about this? I'm Diamond too and my status expires this month and didn't receive any e-mail from CX indicating an extension. Also checked my account online and still the same.
    That's odd. I got the email too yesterday, as did another colleague of mine.

Ok... so this "no longer viable" thing is a bit worrying. How about "unviable in the near future"?

Have flown with them to the US via LA and SF dozens of times. Never to NYC.

The airline told staff on Friday that it had to make tough decisions amid the worsening economic impact and employing flight attendants based in the United States was “no longer viable”, according to a memo seen by the Post.

Cathay has virtually grounded all passenger services, operating 3 per cent of its schedule in April and May, with just two flights a week to Los Angeles instead of the around 120 flights weekly.
    https://twitter.com/JeromeTaylor/sta...03842180730880

Quote Originally Posted by greenmark:
    Exactly this. From the consumer standpoint you're giving them a loan with the option of transferring it to a flight at some later date. But you're taking a risk that Cathay Pacific will be still operating on the day you want to execute your option.
    I will not be worrying about this happening when I book my ticket. The one restriction that causes me to wait for now is that the last time I read the offer, the flights have to be completed by next February 2021, so waiting for that to be extended. Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Ok... so this "no longer viable" thing is a bit worrying. How about "unviable in the near future"?

Have flown with them to the US via LA and SF dozens of times. Never to NYC.

https://twitter.com/JeromeTaylor/sta...03842180730880
    Actually this is probably due to the differences in unemployment benefits.

In Hong Kong, firms can either sack people or ask them to take unpaid leave. For most employees, they would prefer unpaid leave so that they can quickly be taken on and resume work, plus at least you get to keep the health scheme benefits.

In the USA, again firms can sack people or take unpaid leave. There the employees would prefer getting sacked because they can then sign on for unemployment benefit and get some income.

It is unviable for Cathay to keep paying employees full wages in either Hong Kong or the USA.

Virgin Australia have just gone bust. There was talk the last few days the NSW government could bail them out if they moved their HQ from Brisbane to Sydney, but they said f*ck that and gave up. Now in voluntary administration.

Damn, I enjoyed their totally free onboard wifi service over the last few months. It made my 4 hour commute from Perth to Sydney so much more bearable and I could catch up on geoexpat and other news mid flight.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/virgi...32bdc140ece8ce