Like Tree22Likes

Cathay - Unlimited Ticket Changes - Good Deal?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cathay - Unlimited Ticket Changes - Good Deal?

Have not really looked into this (and the pricing / availability to select dates in Aug/Sept)....

Curious if you folks who fly a lot more than I do think this is a good offer or not.

We understand that things can change at the last minute. That’s why we’re giving you the freedom to make unlimited changes to new tickets, at no extra cost.

For even more flexibility, we’re extending this offer to all new tickets purchased before 30 June 2020. You’ll also have more time to alter your plans, with free and unlimited changes available up to one year after your ticket purchase.

That means you can book knowing that you can push back your travel dates, or pick a new destination, as many times as you like.

Depends on the price of the ticket. I suspect there are no discounts any more so you are likely to be paying the equivalent of the previous flexible ticket price anyway!

shri likes this.

Quote Original Post:
    Depends on the price of the ticket. I suspect there are no discounts any more so you are likely to be paying the equivalent of the previous flexible ticket price anyway!
    That's what I thought. Have heard of people paying 20-40K for tickets from London to HK in the last few weeks.

Will look at dates tonight and report back.
    HK_Katherine and TaD_LaLa like this.

yes, flights have reduced significantly, and tix price have gone up significantly.
    so if you get a tix now (at high price), then have to change your flight schedule, and subsequently flights normalized and you get to use your original tix on a new flight (at more normal price) a year later, you are going to miss the price differences!

air canada summer flights are currently about 20% cheaper than previous years

bdw

CX prices from Perth to Hong Kong are non existant in April and May, but in June they are selling tickets very cheap, around HK$3k return for economy. Singapore airlines similar pricing. This is about half the price I would normally expect.

I am suppose to be travelling to HK once a month for my company, if I was paying the ticket out of my own pocket I could consider buying now, but since it's a company expense I'm not going to go out of my way and all the hassle of buying a ticket now that will likely just be postponed indefinitely anyway.

HK_Katherine and chuckster007 like this.

I guess Cathay wants some revenue - better to get the cash in the door now and sort the timing of the flight out later. Works for me. I need to get to Aus in November (hopefully travel will be ok by then!) so booking now makes some sense. Prices are OK for my itinerary - not brilliant but not high either.

greenmark, bdw and traineeinvestor like this.

Quote Original Post:
    I guess Cathay wants some revenue - better to get the cash in the door now and sort the timing of the flight out later.
    Exactly this. From the consumer standpoint you're giving them a loan with the option of transferring it to a flight at some later date. But you're taking a risk that Cathay Pacific will be still operating on the day you want to execute your option.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Original Post:
    Exactly this. From the consumer standpoint you're giving them a loan with the option of transferring it to a flight at some later date. But you're taking a risk that Cathay Pacific will be still operating on the day you want to execute your option.
    Yep, that was exactly my thought. Will travel insurance cover them failing I wonder? Or my credit card?

bdw

Virgin Australia is on the brink of collapse now. The federal government has indicated they would prefer Australia to continue to have two major airlines, better for competition, etc, but they are standing firm they will not bail them out. So a big chance there will be only one airline left soon. Very reminiscent of Ansett back in 2001.

shri, timonoj and irisboards like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast