Like Tree42Likes

Stuck in Japan.. how to get back to HK?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Stuck in Japan.. how to get back to HK?

Hi all,

I am currently stuck in Tokyo, Japan, been here since late January. Original plan was to go back in late April.
    My original return ticket to HK on April 29th was cancelled by HK Express, and when I bought a new ticket for May 1st it was cancelled again a few days later. The latter was the cheapest I could find at the time, around 10,000 Yen single flight (720HKD).

I recently checked for flights from Japan to HK and they are super expensive.
    Has anyone had any luck getting to HK recently from Japan, and what airliner did you use?

I have messaged a few airliners, one of them said they will resume flights on May 16th, HKE online chat staff said they will start flights again on June 1st, Cathay doesn't have anything for early May - just getting a error message each time, etc.

Had to extend my tourist visa a few weeks ago til May 29th, it expires in late April sometime.
    Any suggestions?

Regards

Try Kiwi.com. There are some reasonably priced connecting flights but you need to check very carefully that the intermediate countries allow connecting flights from Japan.

There's also a direct CX flight on Tuesday for around 3k which is pretty reasonable, given the circumstances. If you want cheaper than that then you are out of luck. The era of cheap flights is suspended or may even be over.

markranson likes this.

I checked CX, the price for Narita airport to HK for Tuesday, one-way is 86,660 Yen excluding tax,
    that's more than 2 months worth of my rent here in Tokyo.
    Can see one flight for April 30th for 62,000 but still really expensive.

June prices are around 23,000 for many airliners, is it possible they will raise the fares for these?

AmyMi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nickelodeon1997:
    I checked CX, the price for Narita airport to HK for Tuesday, one-way is 86,660 Yen excluding tax,
    that's more than 2 months worth of my rent here in Tokyo.
    Can see one flight for April 30th for 62,000 but still really expensive.

June prices are around 23,000 for many airliners, is it possible they will raise the fares for these?
    Where are you staying at less than 40k a month? Someone I know may be interested.

In 1967 I left Sling Yer Paw for Darwin, Australia on a freighter with passenger accomodation {pretty hi-class too} and had a nice carefree trip across the Equator and probably cheaper than getting there by plane!

But not as cheap as my US$3 - deck class - trip from Bangkok down south to Songkla - food (Thai) provided, but pay minimal amounts for drinks.

My brother chipped away and repaired the deck of a freighter down the Red Sea for a free ride in 1966.

Oh - the carefree days of youth !

The point I was making was that perhaps - even in this day & age - it could be possible to hitch rides in freighters heading to HK !

Book your ticket out from Osaka Kansai, more LCCs running flights from there more cheaply it looks like.

Make the trip by bus or rail from Tokyo to KIX

Quote Originally Posted by jw1701:
    Book your ticket out from Osaka Kansai, more LCCs running flights from there more cheaply it looks like.

Make the trip by bus or rail from Tokyo to KIX

Good advice - using google flights seems there's a HK Airlines flight out on the 16th May for <$3000.

Otherwise found this which seems more than reasonable:

With the virus and the state of emergency in most big cities in japan, i doubt the regular LCC flights are going to resume anytime. Airlines are likely to maintain minimum flight for the next two months or more. If you can are prepared to stay much longer, then yes. Otherwise if you would rather be home, then bite the bullet and get one of the tix back.. its not normal time. see how some of those get caught in london or peru are paying really high cost in getting a flight back (arranged by the government)...

How much from Peru ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast