Like Tree34Likes

The future of air travel?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRandomer:
    Ideally air travel security should radically change much like it did post terrorism events such as 9/11 or the Lockerbie bombing.

Travellers should be tested for the virus at the point of origin much like you’re asked to take your shoes and belts off before passing through the scanners. Only then should people be allowed to fly.
    Not a great example to use- post 9/11 air travel changes have been widely panned by security researchers all over the world. It even coined a new phrase- "security theater". Lots of bluster and visible inconvenience, with almost nothing achieved.

The "take off shoes" thing is a prime example. One halfwit would be terrorist (Richard Reid, the "shoe bomber") lengthened security procedures for at least tens of millions of people all over the world, per year. Probably more.

Basically, the terrorists achieved exactly what they wanted by the way societies reacted.
    shri likes this.

Agree with the ‘security theatre’ and I knew someone would raise it here. My point is, people would be willing to sacrifice convenience for security. Pandemics shouldn’t be any different. I just think this could be a viable solution to kick start the airline and tourism industry again. At least for the initial stages.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    So once travel resume (or at least restrictions are relaxed), what will happen to:

1. Ticket price
    2. Choice of destinations with direct routes
    3. Air miles
    4. Number of airlines flying the route you want
    5. Overall inflight experience
    I'm going to say, in the short to medium term at least that they will:

1. Go up significantly as planes will have to fly without being full and airlines will go bust, lowering competition
    2. Will drop dramatically as only busy routes will be suppported
    3. Will become harder and harder to redeem, or will be pushed to non-flight rewards
    4. Will drop as airlines go bust
    5. It pretty much sucks now, take away the beer and make me wear a mask and it will be awful.
    chuckster007, Coolboy and Tadashi like this.

One thing for sure, better be prepared to fly with masks on...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...101_story.html