Like Tree36Likes

Crooked Taxi Driver?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Nah I've been lucky here. No issues with taxi drivers so far.

I only take the taxi from TC to airport,

Quote Originally Posted by Andycg777:
    Yes that would have been a v good idea! He obviously assumed it was my first time in Hong Kong and wanted to give it a shot, and it worked... >.<
    Acording to this fare calculator it's $195 from HKG to TW.

Taking a photo of the licence also works when they don't want to take you to your destination.

https://www.taxi-calculator.com/taxi-fare-estimation

Quote Originally Posted by mucaari:
    Was at Clearwater Bay last week and wanted to go to TKO station... Driver pretended he didn't know the way and started using google maps. But the way google maps guided him was definitely doing some kind of detour around TKO at first before getting back into town center. I assume he tried to enter the loop into google maps to justify to us what he was doing.

Anyway, it was only like 2-3km longer than the usual route, which is maybe like 20-30 HKD? Didn't wanna bother fighting with him about that, so I just paid it... But that's the first time sth. like this happened to me.
    At $6/km it would've been $12-18, after $60 the rate also goes down a little.

Certainly not worth the stress to make a fuss over $18 although there are some people here who have called the police on a $6 overcharge for baggage.

If you came from the airport, wouldn't you have the slip of paper given to you by the taxi stand people?

Andycg777 likes this.

Only silver lining in HK is that even a 4x rip-off costs you less here than a black can (or even Uber probably...) from Heathrow to the East End!

Andycg777, Elegiaque and jack55 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chichow:
    If you came from the airport, wouldn't you have the slip of paper given to you by the taxi stand people?
    They didn't seem to be doing that at Asia Expo!

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    ALL my bad HK taxi experiences have started at the airport (or equivalent for you in Asia Expo). From charging for luggage that is within allowable limit to bizarre routing etc. I just argue the toss and call the police on them. I can imagine you were just too tired, but yes, that's not acceptable behaviour. You may want to try reporting to the police anyway, because if he gets away with it once he may be a "regular" at that taxi queue.
    Yeah! Wasn't thinking, think i was totally caught off guard not expecting such a ridiculous bill for a 25min ride. Wish i caught his reg or name! or just taken the receipt he showed me >.<!

If it was really a 680 bill and you only gave him 500, I'm pretty sure he would have kicked off about that too.

The fact he just took it suggests he was crooked.

Andycg777 and angeluscomplex like this.

Speaking of which, what is the most expensive possible point-to-point trip in HK?

Wong Shek to Airport? Big Wave Bay to one of the Shenzhen crossongs?

That’s why when I’m in town we always use Gogovan.

You always know in advance what the fee is, I usually tip them $20 on top.

From the Airport to Cheung Sha Wan costs me $140 for 3 people including luggage.

blueagles likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast