Like Tree25Likes

Crooked Taxi Driver?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Where does the van pick you up?
    you doing a long trek with luggage to a remote parking lot?

Quote Originally Posted by chichow
    Where does the van pick you up?
    you doing a long trek with luggage to a remote parking lot?
    No not that remote.
    Just upstairs from arrivals, a car park to the side of the small Starbucks.

Oh that is much better than the pre order taxi that you have to go to some remote lot

Elegiaque and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Andycg777
    Hi,

I just wondered if anyone had ever been seriously overcharged by taxis, I have lived in HK for 1.5 years but never experienced it until last night. After arrived in Hong Kong I got picked up from Asia expo by one of those larger red taxis with my destination being Tsuen Wan, so around 25km. The final bill was 680hkd!?! Regretfully I was too polite/ sleep deprived after a long haul flight + 8 hours witting for the covid results to argue at the time and handed over 500hkd (all i had in my wallet)...

About 10mins into the journey the taxi counter seemed to bleep almost constantly for around 10seconds and then my current fair of around 70hkd reset back down to the starting amount of 25hkd and stayed at this number for the remainder of the journey. I assumed at the time it had broken and the driver would just estimate the fair, but he showed me a receipt of 680hkd?! I had bags in the boot and we did stop at a ATM at the start for 5mins but surely it could never be that much Sadly I didn't get the reg or drivers name.
    Always ask for a receipt even if you don't want it or need it for any kind of reimbursement. This keeps people honest. This goes for anything where money changes hands. Even at local shops it keeps the cashier honest and prevents them from rippping of thier employer too. Unless you had really heavy luggage and many of them I don't see how it could come close to what you paid. IMO it should be about 1/2 of that and that would be on the high side with slight tip. Learn some Cantonese. Learn how to pronounce your destination so you don't seem like a good rip-off target.
    Andycg777 likes this.

Sai Wan pavilion in Sai Kung is a black spot. There's no phone signal so you can't call to order a taxi nor call the police when they want you to pay a jacked up set price. There is no public transportation and they are fully aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    That’s why when I’m in town we always use Gogovan.

You always know in advance what the fee is, I usually tip them $20 on top.

From the Airport to Cheung Sha Wan costs me $140 for 3 people including luggage.
    Of course, legally gogovan (and similar) is not a passenger service...

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz
    Of course, legally gogovan (and similar) is not a passenger service...
    Yup but since we have ‘ luggage ‘ that’s classed as carrying goods.

I fight the taxi trade by only taking ubers.

I am a hong kong native and i know how those taxi drivers work. That driver have defined you as a traveller something, so he put a huge price to get benefit. 250 hkd is already pretty enough for that transportation. Next time, i advise you to use uber / put the “from and to” on uber to see the reference of price for a trip

Andycg777 likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast