Like Tree26Likes

Crooked Taxi Driver?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Also I've had cases where the taxi driver gave me a receipt but the ink is so feint that it's illegible. They have every trick not in the book...

I've had cases where I was disputing the fare, they asked me to wait for a minute, they went to the boot, I honestly thought they might get a weapon out but they just lifted the boot, we agreed the drop the price (but still more than usual fare), he drove off, with the boot up so I couldn't take down his licence plate. Also his ID wasn't displayed on the dashboard

That's why I never use taxis anymore

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman
    I fight the taxi trade by only taking ubers.
    I fight the uber trade by only taking taxis.

Honestly in nearly a decade here I've not had a single bad taxi experience (other than motion sickness), but speaking Cantonese has really helped out I think.

Uber on the other hand, I think I've had maybe 3 good experiences out of 20, then I gave up.
    mucaari likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Andycg777
    Yes that would have been a v good idea! He obviously assumed it was my first time in Hong Kong and wanted to give it a shot, and it worked... >.<
    The driver probably checked your geoexpat join date and took a punt on you

The fare seems overly extravagant... even at the worst of times.

Quote Originally Posted by gch555
    I fight the uber trade by only taking taxis.

Honestly in nearly a decade here I've not had a single bad taxi experience (other than motion sickness), but speaking Cantonese has really helped out I think.

Uber on the other hand, I think I've had maybe 3 good experiences out of 20, then I gave up.
    I agree with you in principle, Taxis in general work well and >90% of the drivers are fair.

Holy shit you got MUGGED pretty bad, its a pity you dont have the receipt or remember the license plate number. I would highly request you go on the quest to get that piece of shit taxi driver arrested. if its was a simple rounding up or heck took the long way to rip you off a bit more then I wouldnt bother but to charge you HK$680 for a journey that would cost less than 200 is damm right outrageous.

File a police report, ask AWE if they have cctv of you being picked up by a taxi etc. go get that son of a bitch .

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge
    Speaking of which, what is the most expensive possible point-to-point trip in HK?

Wong Shek to Airport? Big Wave Bay to one of the Shenzhen crossongs?

The isolated little villages/areas such as one sees when hiking, such as Sham Tseng inTuen Mun, the Peak would also be expensive I should imagine. Not everything in HK. presents as easily accessible.

If you give your destination in Cantonese its incredibly unlikely you'll be mugged off. I don't recall a single occasion (on thousands of trips) when a driver tried to rip me off. Poor motor skills, dangerous driving, taxis with no suspension, filthy interiors, surly drivers - par for the course. Scamming - one vice that I didn't experience.

But, clearly there are a bunch of chancers who ply the airport trade and look for people to gouge. That's why your get a piece of paper with the details handed to you at the airport, plus the prominent signage advising on fares to different destinations.

Uber is still much better in every way. Better vehicles, better drivers, better security, better hailing app, better redress if you leave any personal belongings.. Etc etc.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4