Like Tree36Likes

Crooked Taxi Driver?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Always get a receipt, I'm sorry but I don't really trust any HK taxi drivers having been taken on several rides. Along with that, having several fights with them as they'd refuse me service from HK Island to the New Territories even if I've already made the request after sitting down and buckling my seat belt (which is illegal and they know it).

If you want to try and calculate the distance between two places, download an app called "HK Taxi Meter" that shows you the approximation in cost (including tunnel fees etc).

Some taxi drivers will always try to scam any new arrivals, here they particularly targeting Japanese, it has been going on for years since the airport was at Kai Tak, occasionally an undercover cop will catch a driver, but it's rare. And it is not limited to Hong Kong, it happens all over the world, taxi drivers/illegal drivers try to scam new arrivals.

chuckster007 likes this.

I think that they intentionally targeted those back from Covid19 tests. It could have happened to a local.
    Personally I have more arguments with red taxi drivers over green taxi drivers.

https://www.tcu.gov.hk/taxi/index.htm
    This is to lodge your complaint.

Another method of keeping taxi drivers honest is simply to take a photo of their license plate before entering the vehicle. Also you can secretly video him from the back seat for awhile. This and especially the receipt should serve as iron clad proof of any rip-off. IMO majority of drivers just trying to make an honest living. There are some assholes but few. They may not try to rip you off but will do things like refuse to help with luggage, throw attitudes, etc.

JAherbert likes this.

Agree with RMDNC. I always take a picture of the taxi license plate (there is a small one inside the door if you sit at left side on the back seat.) And, being a female, I usually send quick msg to a friend with the plate number and "taking taxi from A to B now" so that if I disappear on the way, somebody will have a clue where to start looking...

chuckster007 and JAherbert like this.

JAherbert likes this.

I dont get all the discussion but the passengers complained about being overcharged from the airport. Driver says there is a special fee. Forced to do a calculation after the passengers say they are not tourists and take the router all the time the driver says he made a mistake and charges them the appropriate amount of about 240 something like that.

JAherbert likes this.

If you cannot at present, learn to pronounce your destination in proper Cantonese; this shows you are savvy and makes you less of a target.

JAherbert likes this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5