Like Tree37Likes

Traveling from US to HK with 6 year old at this time

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Beginning around May 15, foreign spouses of HK residents were allowed in. I flew in last month. I am American, my wife is HK resident. All you need is the marriage certificate. They will call your husband from Immigration Desk to confirm. They also called my wife during the health screening at AsiaExpo World. You’ll need to quarantine for two weeks, but you can enter without a visa. Call the airline in advance so they know that you are travelling and that this is the new regulation.

librarygirl2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Awardwell:
    Re: AWE - Chuckster007 is correct. I arrived at 5:30 a.m. on Cathay and arrived at quarantine apartment at 4:30 p.m. AWE was cold but AvSec did let me get fleece from luggage when I asked. Sandwich provided but don't expect much. Snacks, toys, phone charger!

BOS to LAX was scary with the one grinning idiot (no mask - so I could tell she was grinning and an idiot) who made 3 trips to visit her friend in the row behind me. Ignored announcements to wear mask. Only 1 though.

Be prepared to wear mask from beginning to end. For me, with LAX layover, about 35 hours.
    Agreed!

Thank you everyone for all your replies. My first plane in the US was on June 24th so forgive me if I didn’t reply to everyone promptly as I was trying to pack and get my ducks in a row before my flight. So this is what happened:

1) Flight from Austin to DFW and Flight from DFW to LAX —> No vacant seats. Flight was pretty full but at least everyone was wearing a mask. American Airlines states that if you don’t wear a mask on board then you may not be able to fly with them anymore. So, everyone was being really abiding and didn’t attempt to talk to anyone or congregate in the aisles. When I checked in at Austin, I could not get a boarding pass to HK because of the restrictions and no HKID. I was told to go to the Cathay counter at LAX to get our boarding passes. Austin did ask me for documentation before giving me ANY boarding passes.

2) Flight from LAX to HK —> Cathay counter at LAX took my documentation and sent an email to HK immigration. Luckily I was at the counter about 1.25 hours prior to departure. I believe June 25th was a HK holiday because they didn’t receive any email from immigration. Then 25 minutes prior to last boarding before they close the door, Cathay called HK Immigration and finally got a call back 5 minutes before they shut the door. OMFG! I was thinking I’m going to have to stay overnight at an LAX airport hotel or just fly back to Austin because this may not be happening. I showed them my email from immigration but they told me that it didn’t have my name on it and was just a generic email. They needed an official document from Immigration showing my name or they had to confirm with them over the phone. 5 minutes before the pilot threatened to shut the door, HK Immigration finally called to confirm. Yay!

Flight was 1/3 full approximately. Flight was fine.

3) Stopped at Passport Control/Immigration. Had to go to supervisor’s office to show him documentation.

4) AWE was cold as hell. Saw about 3 or 4 camping tents there, which was pretty smart if you have kids. Sandwiches and a tall bottle of water if you ask for it. Landed in HK at 6am and left at 2.30pm. Got into Uber and driver immediately asked me where I flew in from. He probably thought I flew in from Malaysia or Thailand but when I told him From the US, he almost panicked. I don’t blame him.

Lots of stories from this trip but it was fine.

Welcome! How did the young one do?

librarygirl2 likes this.

Glad you made it okay. That must have been nerve wracking, getting the call with only five minutes to spare.

librarygirl2 likes this.

Stupid of them to throw in an extra requirement. Good to know though, whoever may be doing the same should get an email from IMMD allowing entry by name and passport/ID number.

librarygirl2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Awardwell:
    Welcome! How did the young one do?
    Thanks Awardwell, he was a really good trooper. He wanted to cry around the 10.30am mark while waiting for test results but I kept fibbing to him that we’ll be leaving soon. He was exhausted but he was ok. Thanks for asking!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3