Like Tree37Likes

Traveling from US to HK with 6 year old at this time

Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    88

    Traveling from US to HK with 6 year old at this time

    Hey everyone,

    Spouse has been working in HK. We have a flight from US to HK (TX to LA then to HKG). I'm getting a bit scared and nervous about this as my kid is only 6 and we haven't seen spouse since early January. I worry about long term effects of kid in case we catch Covid. Also, my kid is attending school in TX and will enter 1st grade on August 18th. We may need to do distance learning from HK and it should be ok with the school as they can only accomodate 25% of students. Cases are rising in TX and CA and I worry about no social distancing on planes.

    Just wondering what you think and if you were in my shoes, would you fly? I know nobody flying or planning to anytime in the near future and my conscience is telling me not to do it.

    Thanks!


  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    443

    Are you and your daughter HK residents?

    juanalias likes this.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    7,068
    Quote Originally Posted by librarygirl2:
    Also, my kid is attending school in TX and will enter 1st grade on August 18th. We may need to do distance learning from HK and it should be ok with the school as they can only accomodate 25% of students.
    You and your kid will be sleep deprived zombies if you try to distance learn in real time from HK if classes are broadcast from TX.
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Cminds:
    Are you and your daughter HK residents?
    No we are not but my husband in HK was born in HK and has HKID.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    435

    If you're not HK residents you can't come in. Unless you organised a spousal visa from TX recently, and a dependants visa for your daughter.

    Also, the wording of your posts, personal question...is this fella your daughter's dad? Cause of course officially I am so woke it doesn't matter (but in reality it matters a lot).

    cloroxbleach likes this.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon72:
    If you're not HK residents you can't come in. Unless you organised a spousal visa from TX recently, and a dependants visa for your daughter.

    Also, the wording of your posts, personal question...is this fella your daughter's dad? Cause of course officially I am so woke it doesn't matter (but in reality it matters a lot).
    Thanks @Kowloon72. It’s our son and he is the baby daddy. No worries. I don’t mind the question.

    Wait, I need a dependent visa? won’t a marriage certificate from the US be enough? I also have a birth certificate for my son when he was born in the US. Should I call the US consulate in HK?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by librarygirl2:
    Thanks @Kowloon72. It’s our son and he is the baby daddy. No worries. I don’t mind the question.

    Wait, I need a dependent visa? won’t a marriage certificate from the US be enough? I also have a birth certificate for my son when he was born in the US. Should I call the US consulate in HK?
    I understand your desire to reunite the family.

    But unfortunately you'll need a work/dependency/student visa or HK ID card. Travel restrictions have been extended until the 18th of September. That means only residents can enter the territory, and those that do must complete a mandatory two week quarantine (strictly enforced).

    US consulate in HK won't be able to do anything.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon72:
    I understand your desire to reunite the family.

    But unfortunately you'll need a work/dependency/student visa or HK ID card. Travel restrictions have been extended until the 18th of September. That means only residents can enter the territory, and those that do must complete a mandatory two week quarantine (strictly enforced).

    US consulate in HK won't be able to do anything.
    @Kowloon72,
    I asked Cathay (US office) and American Airlines and they told me my documents should suffice. Should I call immd.gov.hk?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    11

    Like "kowloon72" said only HK resident can enter in HK before 18th September.....so you are not... and you will not be able to fly to HK

    cloroxbleach and jack55 like this.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    186
    Name:  13A2B490-4C63-44D9-A190-BA5A54D0C1F2.png
Views: 868
Size:  345.3 KB
    I think you can come here. Screenshot from the CX App. Spouse and child of HK resident are under exemptions.

Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast