Like Tree83Likes

Covid-19: Testing in the US - For travel to HK

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Covid-19: Testing in the US - For travel to HK

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...2-20200722.htm

Well it looks like Americans are now banned from flying into Hong Kong. It's virtually impossible to get a test done with results within 72 hours here, not just in "parts of the country" as the article claims. And apparently the HK government is requiring additional documentation like a "government chop" to certify the test, which the US completely lacks.

Not clear if it would be allowed to connect or get a test in a third country and where one could connect from that would do this, or how long one would need to stay in that place.
    Coolboy, Jackie1 and gigglinggal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by prospectiveHKer:
    Well it looks like Americans are now banned from flying into Hong Kong. It's virtually impossible to get a test done with results within 72 hours here, not just in "parts of the country" as the article claims. And apparently the HK government is requiring additional documentation like a "government chop" to certify the test, which the US completely lacks.
    May be PM this person: https://geoexpat.com/forum/415/threa...ml#post3737589

Well it looks like Americans are now banned from flying into Hong Kong.
    Americans and everyone else are already not allowed to come into HK. Only HK residents can fly in... It's really not HK's problem if it's difficult to get tests, we're in the middle of a significant resurgence and it was a bit embarrassing to have places like India and Pakistan on that list and leave off the worst country on the planet when it comes to dealing with the virus.

My friend's based in the OC and went here (the branch in Huntington Beach). not sure if it fulfils the HK govt requirement but he did it so this girl he met online would meet up physically

https://www.xurgentcare.com/

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    gigglinggal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    Americans and everyone else are already not allowed to come into HK. Only HK residents can fly in... It's really not HK's problem if it's difficult to get tests, we're in the middle of a significant resurgence and it was a bit embarrassing to have places like India and Pakistan on that list and leave off the worst country on the planet when it comes to dealing with the virus.
    If you have a new work visa and are immigrating you are allowed in regardless of your nationality.

I don't blame HK for the US testing failure. I am just trying to figure out how to deal with what has become an even more difficult situation than before.

I have heard of some places anecdotally that will do this in California now...but I live across the country...sigh. Stopping there means risk of more infection!
    Last edited by prospectiveHKer; 23-07-2020 at 12:35 PM.
    traineeinvestor and Jackie1 like this.

Not clear if it would be allowed to connect or get a test in a third country and where one could connect from that would do this, or how long one would need to stay in that place.
    It's terrible timing for you. Sympathies. Surely somewhere in LA or NY could do it fast for the right money? When's your flight?

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon72:
    It's terrible timing for you. Sympathies. Surely somewhere in LA or NY could do it fast for the right money? When's your flight?
    I have at least a few weeks thankfully, and maybe longer depending on the visa situation (which has prevented me from pulling a trigger on a flight), although I hope I don't violate my contract if I can't start on time. Definitely if I can find someone in NY that could do it, that would be best.

Getting the test...not a problem...getting the results within three days of the flight...don't think that's going to happen without some amazing US-sized "rush testing" charge. And, in the US, the sky's the limit when it comes to how much you would be charged for such a thing, as in several thousand US dollars- hell, that was what some people have been charged for a regular, non-rush test. And in NY...would be extra-special expensive.

I really feel for you- I am about to immigrate to Taiwan and, at this rate, will have to do the same thing to satisfy Taiwan, only I am lucky enough to be in HK where it's a lot faster and cheaper.

I like your idea of going to another country and getting the testing...except that many countries are less than thrilled having Americans show up. Not sure if Canada is still letting in Americans but they have a ton of flights to HK (well, maybe not a TON these days, but you could get a flight if you head to a major city like Toronto or Vancouver). Pretty sure Cathay or Air Canada is going to let you on with your negative result from Toronto. But, of course, that's a few days of hotel in Toronto...balance that cost against the cost of rush testing in the US... if you can pay to get it. Have seen reports where test results are coming back a WEEK after the test, what a mess. Best of luck to you, keep trying, hope you find something.

Coolboy and gigglinggal like this.

Americans haven't been allowed in Canada for months and it's not likely to change anytime soon. I don't think it will be easy for an american to go somewhere on the way to get a test. It's the US, money talks, it won't be cheap but I'm sure you can get a test somewhere there even if you have to fly or ship the sample.

Thought you were too scared of getting snatched on the street for accidentally saying you don't like the CCP to a colleague to come live in HK... Hope your affairs are in order.

Chinese Embassies around the world are supposed to be identifying labs where you can get tested and the test results will meet their standards. I assume if they meet China's standards, HK immd and health authorities should accept them.

I suspect the bonus will be you get a free chop or three.

Another bonus might be that they get your DNA and clone you. Somewhere down the road, you might get to meet your evil twin.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast