Like Tree97Likes

Do you miss traveling?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Living quality wise, absolutely. But risk of infection....hmmmm.
    Most of the infections in Canada or Australia were localized in big cities. It's a lot easier to social distance if you choose to when you drive your own car, when they only allow a certain number of people in the supermarket and you only need to go once every two weeks because you have two fridges and a freezer and you can grow your own stuff and you don't need to leave your house and see other people. If kids are in school then it's a bit riskier. BBQ by the pool in the backyard vs going out to restaurants in HK? Again, I'll take the former...

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    Most of the infections in Canada or Australia were localized in big cities. It's a lot easier to social distance if you choose to when you drive your own car, when they only allow a certain number of people in the supermarket and you only need to go once every two weeks because you have two fridges and a freezer and you can grow your own stuff and you don't need to leave your house and see other people. If kids are in school then it's a bit riskier. BBQ by the pool in the backyard vs going out to restaurants in HK? Again, I'll take the former...
    Well, most Canadians and Australians do live in the cities.

Claustrophobic...that might have more to do with the apartment you lived in and the urban area.
    I lived in a village house between the beach and the biggest national park in HKSAR and I owned a car...

Hong Kong is claustrophobic, even if it's less so than possibly the only other city state on planet Earth that is more so...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    I lived in a village house between the beach and the biggest national park in HKSAR and I owned a car...

Hong Kong is claustrophobic, even if it's less so than possibly the only other city state on planet Earth that is more so...
    Eh? HK has no national park. You mean country park? Sorry, I was just trying to be sympathetic, now I am getting a little confused, living in a village house already grants you a substantially bigger living space than most HK people. One wonders how 7+ million people survive here. I think you have some in-born claustrophic tendency if even a village house feels oppressively small for you.

I think most expats may find HK's living space small, maybe some of the apartments are even unbearably small, but claustrophobic even in a village house? The houses may not be so great in design (they are pretty ugly if you ask me), but oppressively tiny? I just struggle empathize with that.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 27-07-2020 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    A city like HK can't compare with large countries like Canada or Australia or a continent like Europe. Even tiny counties like the UK are immense compared to HK. There's absolutely no doubt I'd much rather be stuck in Canada or Australia than here at the moment.

My buddies are not overly concerned with a lockdown...the house to look after, the pool in the backyard, the garden to be tended. A gym and a pool table in the basement, table tennis in the garage and outside if it's nice. Put the kayaks or SUP on the roof of the car and head for the lake or the river. We can make do here without suffering but it doesn't compare. HK is about making money not quality of living.
    Agreed. If I was in the UK now I could have bought a treadmill, table tennis, punch bag whatever to keep me entertained and fit. No chance in our apartments here, I even have to choose between having a microwave or oven lol no room for both. I did have a kayak here but the plastic in the water (everywhere) and huge ships put me off.
    tf19 and Coolboy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mused:
    Agreed. If I was in the UK now I could have bought a treadmill, table tennis, punch bag whatever to keep me entertained and fit. No chance in our apartments here, I even have to choose between having a microwave or oven lol no room for both. I did have a kayak here but the plastic in the water (everywhere) and huge ships put me off.
    Well, since we are in HK and not "back home" (where ever that is), we have to make the best of the limited space here...somehow. Which raises another question. How to make a place feel more roomy than it is. Watching travel videos of wide open expanse and interesting destinations...that doesn't seem to work well for some here. Beach sound...I don't know about its effectiveness. Any other suggestion? Keep furniture to a minimum? I know some like that simplistic zen feel (maybe that's why Mari Kondo is so popular these days). How to feel like traveling without actually traveling...hmmmmm.

Well, since we are in HK and not "back home" whereever that is, we have to make the best of the limited space here...somehow. Which raises another question. How to make a place feel more roomy than it is. Watching travel videos of wide open expanse and interesting destinations...that doesn't seem to work well for some here. Beach sound...I don't know about its effectiveness. Any other suggestion?
    Sorry but I'm taking Mr Chips advise and already planning my escape 😂 different reasons than what we are discussing though.
    TheBrit, Mr Chips and Skyhook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mused:
    Sorry but I'm taking Mr Chips advise and already planning my escape ������ different reasons than what we are discussing though.
    That's not an option for me, at least not in the immediate future. So I guess that is that.

Guess I have endure...out of necessity. Leaving isn't a ready option...just yet. I just have to develop more peserverance than some other folks.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 27-07-2020 at 09:28 PM.

Yeah, I do miss travelling, all aspects of it - hanging out in the lounge, flying on the plane, trying new food, learning new cultures, appreciating history and all that...

Sunset in Hong Kong is not too bad...

Coolboy, Kowloon72 and gigglinggal like this.

I certainly know what Chips means by claustrophobic... Nothing much to do with living space, just the fact that at this point a bit of variety would be great. Even a weekend in Macau or a wander across to Shenzhen would do wonders. I was really hoping we'd get to a free travel area around Greater Bay by now but no hope of that for months now.

Probably will try to get across to Europe in September and suck up the quarantine on return. Might reconsider if the virus incidence is dramatically different between here and there by then (in either direction) but I'm not convinced it will be...

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast