Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cornmeal
  • 1 Post By angeluscomplex

Unlock iPhone in HK

Unlock iPhone in HK

Hi

So I have tried to unlock via my service provided who denied it citing several possible reasons for it without specifying which one. So I am looking to unlock somewhere local. Just been to Wan chai computer centre and got quoted 1500HKD for this. I asked about the process and from what I gather they were going to go through my provider to do it so therefore I assume this would just be the same step I took myself and as such it will be rejected and I’ll be 1500HKD down and still a locked phone.

I have already got a new SIM with ‘Birdie’ and moved my current SIM to an eSIM to accommodate this in my phone. Really frustrating now!

Any advice/options on how to resolve this or does anyone know anywhere I can look?

cheers

Might be able to help if you specify your original service provider, your iPhone model and the iOS it is running.

Sounds like a rip off. Try the Mong Kok or Sham Shui Po. We paid something like $150 for an LG and Samsung was about $300 to unlock.

HKtostay likes this.

Hi

It is iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 14.1 and it’s with Vodafone U.K.

Quote Originally Posted by HKtostay:
    Hi

It is iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 14.1 and it’s with Vodafone U.K.
    I was originally going to suggest jailbreaking your phone to unlock for free. Given your model / OS, that wouldn't be feasible.

If Vodafone UK didn't agree to unlock your phone, it would likely be difficult as only the original carrier can unlock it. I guess you probably have 1 year left on your original contract hence why it is still locked. You could try negotiating with them again.

Reason it is cheaper on android devices (LG / Samsung) is it's easier to unlock.

You could try some sim unlock services online (e.g. iphoneapprovedunlock) which charges around US$20 - I've never tried it but worst case, its only US$20. Let me know how it goes

Thank you very much for your advice. Funny you should mention iphoneapprovedunlock! Total scam! I tried them and paid the fee of £24 and was awaiting the unlock only to get a request for payment to complete the unlock for a further £120!! They highlighted in the email that it was in the small print that there may be an additional charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Srashes:
    I was originally going to suggest jailbreaking your phone to unlock for free. Given your model / OS, that wouldn't be feasible.

If Vodafone UK didn't agree to unlock your phone, it would likely be difficult as only the original carrier can unlock it. I guess you probably have 1 year left on your original contract hence why it is still locked. You could try negotiating with them again.

Reason it is cheaper on android devices (LG / Samsung) is it's easier to unlock.

You could try some sim unlock services online (e.g. iphoneapprovedunlock) which charges around US$20 - I've never tried it but worst case, its only US$20. Let me know how it goes

Go to Apliu St. and see what they can do and charge.

HKtostay likes this.

And say that you'll only pay for positive results..... i.e. NO fix NO Pay !!

i.e. NO advance pre-payment.

Welcome to Hong Kong.

Try doctorsim.com yet?