Like Tree5Likes

Bizarre routes for summer flights?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Bizarre routes for summer flights?

Since Canada is set to ease quarantine for fully vaxed people I've been tracking flights and just saw some decent flights well below seasonal cost however the flight to YUL stops in YYZ then buggers off down south for an overnight in Dulles. I know I can't walk out at YYZ as AC can then cancel my return (not 100% sure on rule) but I suppose I could do it if I just booked a 1 way ticket? It'll add 30% but still much cheaper (about $5k) than all the other options I'm seeing around $13~20,000 with even longer multiple stopovers elsewhere.

Oddly enough YYZ is where I want to go but searches don't give up any direct flights (well except at an exorbitant price) but this YUL route does! Yes, I realize everything to do with airlines is quite skewed ATM but perhaps once the announcement is made we'll begin to see flights return to more normal routes?

Anyone else looking at flights to get out of HK over the summer? Which booking systems are still with it?

Not used this during covid times..but worth a shot.

(owned by Google)

https://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Cornmeal likes this.

I also had crazy results- pretty sure I saw your flight as I was trying to get to Dulles. BUT...no flight to HK and cannot use separate ticket to get to HK THEN transfer to Air Canada due to pandemic rules- clarified by e-mailing the airport authority just to be sure.

I had a flight to Dallas THEN to Dulles that was 350 dollars cheaper than the flight JUST to Dallas! (with exact same flight numbers). It seems to me to be a little more crazy than usual so much so that now I am going to Korea from Taipei, spending the night at the transit hotel, then flying to Dulles (was the best deal I could get, more or less, that did not involve sleeping overnight in an airport or transiting through Istanbul (which would be fine with me but not sure due to covid if it's the best plan).

Subbed. I am also planning on going back to YYC for a few weeks.

OP, Are you planning one way trip only? Return to HK would be subject to a 3 weeks hotel quarantine still.

There are interesting cheap flights through Europe by combining Qatar or Emirates with Tap Portugal. Emirates offers a travel insurance for the duration of the trip so if someone isn't in a hurry and wants stopovers in Dubai/France/Spain/Portugal for well under 10K, it can be an interesting option.

Cornmeal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    I also had crazy results- pretty sure I saw your flight as I was trying to get to Dulles. BUT...no flight to HK and cannot use separate ticket to get to HK THEN transfer to Air Canada due to pandemic rules- clarified by e-mailing the airport authority just to be sure.

I had a flight to Dallas THEN to Dulles that was 350 dollars cheaper than the flight JUST to Dallas! (with exact same flight numbers). It seems to me to be a little more crazy than usual so much so that now I am going to Korea from Taipei, spending the night at the transit hotel, then flying to Dulles (was the best deal I could get, more or less, that did not involve sleeping overnight in an airport or transiting through Istanbul (which would be fine with me but not sure due to covid if it's the best plan).

If only you were vaccinated it wouldn't be an issue as in a few days they said they'll make the announcement. So many in the tourism industry looking forward to welcoming back our neighbours to the south.

I've also been seeing the Istanbul route as it's part of Star Alliance. Trying to use my points reveals even worse routes. Although a proper stop (24hrs+) in ISB or Europe on the way certainly wouldn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    There are interesting cheap flights through Europe by combining Qatar or Emirates with Tap Portugal. Emirates offers a travel insurance for the duration of the trip so if someone isn't in a hurry and wants stopovers in Dubai/France/Spain/Portugal for well under 10K, it can be an interesting option.
    Interesting, a stop in Spain would be nice, although not sure if it's a good idea but how did you get it to work with Tap Portugal? I couldn't get any NA destinations to select.

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    Subbed. I am also planning on going back to YYC for a few weeks.

OP, Are you planning one way trip only? Return to HK would be subject to a 3 weeks hotel quarantine still.
    Nope, return. Planning at least 1 month as I've taken as little vacay as possible the past 18months.

It's 2 weeks for Canada ATM as it's "Group B" and since Canada's cases keep falling as vaccinations keep rising hopefully (if maintained) by the time I'm set to come back it might even be 7 days, but perhaps that's just wishful thinking.

https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/h...sk-places.html
    Last edited by Cornmeal; 17-06-2021 at 05:21 PM.

A random search on the ita site.

Name:  Screenshot_2021-06-17-17-14-37-327_com.android.chrome.jpg
Views: 1412
Size:  700.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    A random search on the ita site.

Haha, my results gave it to me for only $7700

Would be OK, if I could book with longer stopover to get out and enjoy some fantastic Turkish food...
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    Haha, my results gave it to me for only $7700

Would be OK, if I could book with longer stopover to get out and enjoy some fantastic Turkish food...
    Play around with the dates. I just did a random tap here and tap there..

I tend to think that site has better route and price discovery than anything else out there.
    Cornmeal likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast