Like Tree29Likes

CX economy flights: Ridiculous pricing

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Not a great time to fly, so high prices to reflect it.

Thought Australia weren't letting anyone in?

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiga:
    Thought Australia weren't letting anyone in?
    Australia allows around 5000 citizens and permanent residents to return per week.

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    Lol. As if any travel agent actually did more these days than typing your request into an airline form.
    Sounds like you just never had the good fortune of working with a reliable agent then. I agree some styles of agencies are lackluster (especially corporate), but there are some absolute gems out there helping individuals out of serious trouble on a daily basis (especially now, me included).

Therefore there is absolutely no need to bash an entire industry based off your own previous negative experiences, wouldn't you agree?

These guys have had it hard, and the agencies still standing are the ones that have proved they are worthy of their titles and expertise.

I really wanted to attack your comment, but thought better of it as it seems you are just misinformed and there is nothing wrong with that. I hope you will think twice next time.

Cheers
    spode likes this.

I'd be very very hesitant to book a flight to Australia looping through another country. As others have said, the price is what it is due to the daily arrival caps.

yeah last year's press release was 350 passengers PER DAY at Kingford Smith. Not sure if its changed that much since then. Loads of articles about Aussies stuck in the UK over xmas cos the airlines were basically only flying people in premium classes to cover their costs.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/media-release...arrival-limits

edit: just to add, someone i know flew to sydney in biz (only way to get a flight) and coming back in econ to reduce the costs a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    Lol. As if any travel agent actually did more these days than typing your request into an airline form.
    When flying was a thing, we would almost always go through a fantastic agent. She's gotten us out of all sorts of tight spots- bailing out of Kathmandu at short notice (and minimal internet/phone access), quickly re-arranged flights to handle protest-related airport closures, got some of the family out of HK to ride out the initial virus panic (organised when we were riding out a snowstorm).

She would work on rerouting at 11pm. One of the things that really annoys me about vaccine hold outs is that it's screwing so many great people like her.

I had previously been of the "DIY via the internet" persuasion, but a good agent combined with requiring extreme flexibility at the last moment, working purely over WhatsApp, was really eye-opening.
    Last edited by jgl; 23-06-2021 at 04:22 PM.

I had previously been of the "DIY via the internet" persuasion, but a good agent combined with requiring extreme flexibility at the last moment, working purely over WhatsApp, was really eye-opening.
    @jgl - random tangent, but the kid was able to get a fair bit done with CX over whatsapp - rebooking multiple times when flights to / from the UK were changing almost daily.
    jgl and Mcdavid like this.

With this rhetoric, you should only be eating at McDonalds as more and more local restaurants are also going out of business?

Not related to this specific case for Australia bound flights. But, if you are faced with some intense travel related needs, ask your friends if they have used any reliable travel advisors in the past whom they could recommend - clearly there are some gems out there.

This is a good way to gauge if they are safe business wise and also capable of helping with your unique needs - especially in the current uncertainty relating to travel.

they do if your australian