Like Tree73Likes

Cathay Pacific to cut off baggage allowance for cheapest fares (economy).

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Arrogant airline like people said earlier. They are so stuck up their arses they have no idea how to improve their brand. It used to be one of the best airline before now it's just a joke with stupid pricing.

rs4 likes this.

Come to think...when was the last time I was on a CX flight...can't quite remember, 2019 I think. Ha, Covid pandemic has made me stop flying for so long, I can't even be 100% certain when my last flight was.

The bigger question is, will I fly on CX again when the pandemic has died down? Given the way they are screwing the customer...not if there is an alternative.

It's to create some options for extra fees. Pretty much all airlines do that.

I was so glad to make to SAS Silver for the extra Kg - and a few month later SAS cancelled the HK route.

Not defending them & it's not a clever marketing move at this point. However, while Europe & the US airline businesses have finally experienced some recovery this summer, I doubt we can say the same thing about Cathay due the 7/14/21 day hotel quarantines. Gotta be rather desperate to fly in & out HK.

The more weight, the more fuel they burn. Luggage gives them no revenue, unlike cargo of course.

blandy62 likes this.

Agreed, the extra cost of fuel is a secondary issue. The real issue is the opportunity cost of lost cargo capacity.

CX is making the vast majority of it's revenue from Cargo currently and freight costs have increased dramatically globally, this makes hold luggage disproportionately expensive currently.

If CX re-install the 30kg luggage allowance are you all going to suddenly jump on a plane somewhere, like you didn't for the last 18 months? - Nope, thought not.

hkgcat and UK/HKboy like this.

Quite a bit will depend on the price difference between their economy lite and economy essential tiers. The essential tier actually offers an increased 46Kg luggage allowance. Then again I don't hold out much hope.

Don't really care much, I stopped flying them years ago and prefer airlines like Emirates and Qatar that have the higher limit and generally cheaper fares.

They used to do a good job filling airplanes so they got away with charging higher fares. I'm not sure they will anymore.

CX does have freighters that fly 24/7 dedicated for cargo.... not that I'm saying they don't need passenger flights to take a few scraps along...

Well it could go bankrupt for all I care. Dragon already got killed so whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Greghouse:
    Well it could go bankrupt for all I care. Dragon already got killed so whatever.
    On that note how long does everyone think Cathay still has, can they last more then one more year under these current conditions?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast