Like Tree25Likes

UK Passport renewal - how long?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Another passport question.

Kids passports run out in March. Going to the UK in January. Do I need to renew them before we travel or OK to get in and out of the UK?

Also when in the UK can I get then renewed there within a week?

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Another passport question.

Kids passports run out in March. Going to the UK in January. Do I need to renew them before we travel or OK to get in and out of the UK?

Also when in the UK can I get then renewed there within a week?
    In general, no

Processing times in the UK

Allow up to 10 weeks to receive your passport.

But there is a more expensive one-week fast track available if you are already in UK

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-ur...-track-service

Regarding eligibility to travel without six months on the passport, not sure. I thought airlines could prevent you from taking the outbound leg - I have a memory of it happening to a friend years back - but not 100% on that. I imagine different countries have different rules.
    pin likes this.

We did it online and back within 3 weeks - last month. You take the passport pic with your phone and the app is good at guiding you so pic isn't rejected.

Many horror stories. With a UK address, you can possibly do this? I have travelled with 4 months left and was reminded at each airport (have to transit) to renew. If you're a British citizen it's less hassle to enter when you're on the cusp of expiring - the worry is when you're leaving. I have to say, the UK passport office texted at each stage.

Can't you do it online from HK? You could do it now and have it sent to a family's address in the UK? Family returns to you in HK time for travels - no angst.
    Or simply do it in now...you can renew 9 months early; time just not added back on these days.

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-ur...-track-service

Last edited by scotland; 13-10-2022 at 06:15 PM.
    pin likes this.

Hi All, I am in the process of renewing my UK passport, but it asks for a letter that shows my name and address. But from the list I am having difficulty finding it. What did others submit for renewing? Thanks in advance

Name:  passport.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  168.8 KB
    here is the list I was referring to in the above post

Do you have a utility bill? I normally send my electricity bill.

It doesn't seem to be on the list but send it anyway. I didn't send it as wasn't on the list but it delayed my processing and was asked for it once they received my docs.

chuckster007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by akcl:
    Hi All, I am in the process of renewing my UK passport, but it asks for a letter that shows my name and address. But from the list I am having difficulty finding it. What did others submit for renewing? Thanks in advance
    Send Tax bill if you've got one from HK Govt, it should have your name and address on it. Most official letter you can have with your name on it
    rani likes this.

Thanks for the replies. I am currently not working and do not have any utility bills under my name

Any other suggestions? Would a bank or credit card statement be ok instead?

one more question, doe the documents you send need to be the original or can they be photocopies? thanks!

Hi, can anyone help me confirm to send original documents or photocopies are acceptable?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast