Like Tree11Likes

UK Passport renewal - how long?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

UK Passport renewal - how long?

Not that I'm planning on travelling anytime soon, but want to check how long its taking to get UK passport renewals from HK?

I know they no longer add the additional 9 months but I would still need to make sure I have at least 6 months validity on my passport should I need to travel. Passport doesn't expire until May 2022 but just want to make sure on timing.

My own recent experience:

- 20 May: Started application
    - 21 May: Documents sent to UK via HK Post
    - 26 May: Documents received
    - 2 Jun: Application approved
    - 3 Jun: Passport being printed
    - 15 Jun: Passport received via DHL

End-to-end took just under 1 month.

pin and markranson like this.

Did it through British Connections.

Took around 6 weeks.

pin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiga:
    Did it through British Connections.

Took around 6 weeks.
    Thanks. Can I ask why did you do it via British Connections and not direct?
    aw451 likes this.

my son and wife both did theirs at the end of last year. Full process took about 3 weeks. Don't know why anyone would use an agency, it's a simple process from the initial online form filling to just posting your documents.

A word of warning, you will need to submit the original of any other passports you hold (my wife has HK one and it had to go in with the other docs).

scotland likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PointingFinger:
    my son and wife both did theirs at the end of last year. Full process took about 3 weeks. Don't know why anyone would use an agency, it's a simple process from the initial online form filling to just posting your documents.

A word of warning, you will need to submit the original of any other passports you hold (my wife has HK one and it had to go in with the other docs).
    Sigh..some countries are getting more and more difficult to deal with.

Before nothing was required, then a couple of years ago they started asking for copies of all pages of all passports...now they are asking for ORIGINALS? Another case of the taxman working under the guise of "for your protection" perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Thanks. Can I ask why did you do it via British Connections and not direct?
    They did all the paperwork and picked it up for me, since you need to be around to sign the document for delivery.

Call me lazy! It was very smooth.
    pin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by eightfivetwo:
    My own recent experience:

- 20 May: Started application
    - 21 May: Documents sent to UK via HK Post
    - 26 May: Documents received
    - 2 Jun: Application approved
    - 3 Jun: Passport being printed
    - 15 Jun: Passport received via DHL

End-to-end took just under 1 month.
    I see others saying that you need to send original of other passports held - did you also do this (via HK post to UK) ?

You can send the current passport via DHL. We send them and they arrived at UK within 2 days. My passport took 4 weeks and my husband 2 weeks he requested it urgent). We did it with 6 months remaining and they added this on to the 10 years.

pin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eva C:
    I see others saying that you need to send original of other passports held - did you also do this (via HK post to UK) ?
    You will need to send colored copies of every single page (including the cover) of any other passports you have. No need to send the original.

Tip for saving paper / ink: You can fit a few pages of the passport on one sheet of A4 paper, just configure the settings on your scanner.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast