Like Tree15Likes

Best / Worst MTR interchanges?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best / Worst MTR interchanges?

Changed lines at the Ho Man Tin station today. A bit of a kerfuffle.

What are your least favorite line changes on the MTR system?

We were spoilt for many years with cross platform interchanges at Mongkok, Prince Edward and Admiralty (when there were only 3 lines). They perhaps raised expectations - at least compared to treks in the London underground between lines.

I guess there were engineering issues to prevent cross platform interchanges at Nam Cheong (between the West Rail and Tung Chung Lines) and going north from Tai Wai to the Wu Kai Sha line(south bound is OK).

Kowloon Tong is a pain, especially at busy times.

Coolboy likes this.

I despise Admiralty interchanges because of the queues, more so now because they've eradicated the "cross the platform" interchange between the Island and Tsuen Wan Lines, (the TW. line heading towards Tsuen Wan) so you have to take the most convoluted dance down several levels, alongside "new elevators" which don't fucking work so you have to head down to the South Island section and take the escalators there. *

* Initially: Causeway Bay (say) to Admiralty and then to Tsuen Wan line towards Tsuen Wan = cross the platform. Now: Causeway Bay to Admiralty then walk practically the entire length of the platform, down endless flights of stairs/ or escalators to South Island Line section then escalators/elevators to Tsuen Wan platform towards Tsuen Wan.

Last edited by angeluscomplex; 24-08-2021 at 12:15 AM.
    Coolboy likes this.

Tsing yi mtr to airport express is annoying - all the way down then up again. Mei foo is a long walk between lines.

Coolboy likes this.

Thread diversion as the interchanges are well covered. Quarry Bay and Sheung Wan from platform to street level takes an eternity

JAherbert and TaD_LaLa like this.

I don't really hate MTR interchanges...compared to some subway interchanges around the world I've been on, where it's a vast and confusing maze, the MTR interchanges are generally logically laid out with clear signage.

But ok, if you insist, I am not too fond of the interchange of Tsim Sha Tsui to East Tsim Sha Tsui, where you have to walk forever through this VERY long tunnel to get from Tsuen Wan line to the now Tuen Ma line.

The ones I like are where the different lines share the same platform, so you can just walk across it to get to the different lines. Like Mongkok station, where you can just get off the Tsuen Wan line and go across directly to the Kwun Tong line. Or Lai King station, where you can just step off the Tsuen Wan line and get on the Tung Chung line directly across the same platform.

Last edited by Coolboy; 24-08-2021 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex:
    I despise Admiralty interchanges because of the queues, more so now because they've eradicated the "cross the platform" interchange between the Island and Tsuen Wan Lines, (the TW. line heading towards Tsuen Wan) so you have to take the most convoluted dance down several levels, alongside "new elevators" which don't fucking work so you have to head down to the South Island section and take the escalators there. *

* Initially: Causeway Bay (say) to Admiralty and then to Tsuen Wan line towards Tsuen Wan = cross the platform. Now: Causeway Bay to Admiralty then walk practically the entire length of the platform, down endless flights of stairs/ or escalators to South Island Line section then escalators/elevators to Tsuen Wan platform towards Tsuen Wan.
    shldn't CWB to TW be more practical if you take to central, and just walk directly to the parked trains at TW line ? that's much nearer from your description...
    Coolboy likes this.

Are cross platform changes common in other parts of the world, or is it somewhat a MTR innovation ?

I have not experienced it much other than 1 exchange (citihall+raffles place) in Singapore.. the rest of SGP MRT is totally messy.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    Are cross platform changes common in other parts of the world, or is it somewhat a MTR innovation ?

I have not experienced it much other than 1 exchange (cithall+raffles place) in Singapore.. the rest of SGP MRT is totally messy.
    I don't have a list on hand, but cross platform interchanges are found in many subways around the world. How common they are for each metro system is another question though (some may only have a few stations with cross platform interchanges while others have more).
    Last edited by Coolboy; 24-08-2021 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    shldn't CWB to TW be more practical if you take to central, and just walk directly to the parked trains at TW line ? that's much nearer from your description...
    It wouldn't, because that's one more unnecessary underground stop.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast