Like Tree147Likes

How will CX survive?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by greenmark:
    Yes

Yes.

Those two statements are linked.

Competitors are licking their chops at the prospects of fire-sale cheap landing slots, air frames, infrastructure and a large pool of ready-trained air crew.
    Which competitor though...that is the question. Everyone say Air China...but just how likely, that is what I want to know.

Well, I am not the only one concerned about CX's condition. Their passenger volume back in June last year was even worse than now:

And September's numbers were only marginally better, but still far from sustainable:

So sad for Cathay staff and crew, many of whom have moved their families to HK to build a life and a career.

Having said that, I never really understood why HK was a hub. The airport and services in Singapore are a thousand times better.

hullexile, KEM.UK and ramelec like this.

Blandy62, not sure if you’re referring to me or HK airport, but you’re probably correct on both points

hullexile, hongkong7 and ingipingi like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jillypots:
    Blandy62, not sure if you’re referring to me or HK airport, but you’re probably correct on both points
    If the "relic" refers to Cathay, well CX has engaged in some...shall we say, questionable business practices prior to the pandemic, that really tested some long-time CX customers' desire to still fly with the airline. So CX is not perfect by any means. That being said, there are doubts that any future replacement of CX would necessarily be an improvement. It may well be worse.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 05-01-2022 at 08:50 PM.
    rainylin and ingipingi like this.

Original Post Deleted
    It's not unusual for an air territory to have it's own premium brand airline. Hard to see HK having a separate air territory after the 3rd runway opens.

A little sad as by far the best Chinese airline. Will it just become the premium wing of Air China? Hard to see a 'relic' being used in the future.

Original Post Deleted

Original Post Deleted
    killing off a premium brand seems irrational. but... strange times
    Coolboy and ingipingi like this.

Are the Asia-miles protected from bankruptcy? I would imagine they are accrued in a separate entity with some type of customer protection? Then again this is Hong Kong, what is customer protection?

Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    killing off a premium brand seems irrational. but... strange times
    CX is Swire majority owned. Wrong owner in the "new" politics of HK. I am sure the powers-that-be prefer Air China. As for whether that means HK goes without its own flag carrier, well in the new political logic of the authorities, HK is just another mainland city, remember? Its not big enough to deserve its own major international carrier. Only Beijing (Air China), Shanghai (China Eastern) and Guangzhou (China Southern) deserves their own home-based carrier.
    blandy62, Gatts, Jillypots and 5 others like this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast