Like Tree62Likes

Where would you go in Europe for a month?

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Quote Originally Posted by Gollygordon:
    I have spent a fair bit of time being slowly nomadic in Europe over the past year.

It sounds like you are looking for a quiet time, in which case I would suggest Portugal or Tuscany would both suit. Sintra is a beautiful town, quiet and peaceful with a lot of hikes and tourist stuff around but also 40 minutes to Lisbon by train (or 15-20 EUR) in an Uber away. Also has a lot of genuinely world class coastal attractions like Praia Adraga, Praia Ursa, Cascais, Estoril all about 20 mins way (under 10 EUR by Uber). I'd stay there over Lisbon personally, though Lisbon also great if you want more action.

The Algarve is naturally also a wonderful place to take it easy, different vibes in different towns so easy to find something that suits.

Can also reccomend Lucca in Italy as a great place to spend a few weeks or a month. Great character in its own right and decent connections to other Tuscan cities like Florence, Pisa etc. Not far to the beach or mountains if you have a car.
    Loved Lucca. Second that as a base.
    alexdown and Gollygordon like this.

Beutiful Italy, where people don't know how to drive :)

I would rent a home, and travel around to visit the area. Maybe focus on the south of Europe, depending on the season?

Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    Parts of Athens is a dump, but pick your area and it's pretty nice. That said, I would be staying on one of the islands - so much variety from tiny with just a few shops and restaurants and ferry once every few days, to larger commercial centres with airports.
    Yeah, Athens is quite run down in places but I liked it. Stay in the port neighbourhood of Pireas, there's a sleepy hilltop area, lower area with beach and bunch of galleries and even a few museums, and you've got ferries to all the islands within a 20mins walk. Day trips to inland places as well.

Greeks may seem gruff compared to "friendly" destinations (whatever they are) but compared to HK? You won't notice. Friendlier at least than the Dutch, similar to Parisians.

Off the beaten path Montenegro, lots of great day trips, boring but nice capital, cheap 2euro taxi from airport. Bigger city? Istanbul, fantastic food, ferries to little islands, tons of historic sites, friendly people.
    Last edited by Cornmeal; 18-03-2022 at 07:39 PM.
    drumbrake likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    Parts of Athens is a dump, but pick your area and it's pretty nice. That said, I would be staying on one of the islands - so much variety from tiny with just a few shops and restaurants and ferry once every few days, to larger commercial centres with airports.
    Agreed Athens is a surprisingly nice city, with tonnes of ancient culture to visit.

I have done a 2 month backpack trip to Europe. These were the countries I visited which were economical and great fun:
    Krakow , Poland
    Creskey Krumlov, Czech Republic
    Porto, Portugal
    Athens, Greece
    Budapest, Hungary
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Sevilla, Spain
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Valleta, Malta

Hope this helps

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6