Like Tree22Likes

Cathay Pacific Marco Polo - R.I.P.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Cathay Pacific Marco Polo - R.I.P.

One more set of changes from Cathay to its points program.

I hope some day in the near or distant future we will be able to use these points for mythical flights on their schedule.

All Asia Miles and Marco Polo Club members will see their miles, points and perks automatically transferred to the Cathay program, to run off a single “seamless” website and app, Smitton says.

Those newly-minted Cathay members “will access Status Points and Asia Miles, as well as the full range of awards, all in one place on our website and mobile apps.”

Cathay Status Points are the new name for Marco Polo Club Points – the mechanism by which loyalty is recognised and rewarded – and Smitton says there will be new ways to earn these on the ground in addition to flying, primarily through Cathay co-branded credit cards.
    Executive Traveller: Cathay Pacific readies huge change for millions of frequent flyers.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...brand-relaunch

I already converted all my Asia miles to Amazon Australia gift cards. 5090 Asia miles gets you AUD$25

Name:  AsiaMiles.jpg
Views: 3591
Size:  141.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    I already converted all my Asia miles to Amazon Australia gift cards. 5090 Asia miles gets you AUD$25

If you think this is good value then you must be someone who never flies anywhere. Less than 0.005 AUD per mile??
    Paxbritannia and mrgoodkat like this.

Spending on the multitude of options direct with Asia Miles is the way to go. Marco Polo rewards including flight upgrades and points for flights are not good

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    If you think this is good value then you must be someone who never flies anywhere. Less than 0.005 AUD per mile??
    Probably not good value, but convenient because I'm not in HK now and they were going to expire and I was just going to forfeit them. So a day before they expired just get some gift cards I can use locally where I am.

I do travel again now. First business trip in over two years was just 2 weeks ago. But I have shifted to other schemes now since I am not going in or out of HK for some time. I can't be arsed with Asia miles anymore. I am happy with a $25 Amazon voucher

Probably not good value, but convenient because I'm not in HK now and they were going to expire and I was just going to forfeit them. So a day before they expired just get some gift cards I can use locally where I am.

I do travel again now. First business trip in over two years was just 2 weeks ago. But I have shifted to other schemes now since I am not going in or out of HK for some time. I can't be arsed with Asia miles anymore. I am happy with a $25 Amazon voucher
    If they were expiring - fine. But there are still tons of good oneworld redemptions. I recently spent a chunk of mine on a Japan Airlines first class flight to LHR. Very memorable, due to the Russian air space closer it was routed eastwards over Alaska on the way out. Amazing scenery.

QR had a lot of nice award space, too.

Since the pandemic I have converted my miles to a Samsung Fold 2 and Fold 3. We are travelling to Malaysia this summer (fingers crossed) so the Malaysia air points should renew my status until 2023 it seems.

That's a really bad deal. Redeeming Asiamiles for flights gives you about $1 per mile with current COVID pricing, on certain routes. Eg. HKG-JFK, one way in business: 85,000 miles or $87,067
    Last edited by mrgoodkat; 31-05-2022 at 10:11 AM.

Original Post Deleted
    We have several legs that we would have ordinarily used CX miles on - HK to India, UK etc etc .. unfortunately cannot book ANY redemption tickets and the "cash for miles" conversion rate is as bad as whatever CX does to hedge its oil costs - fucked up.

Have not tried to use those Asia / One World miles on BA out of SGP to .. that's on the list of things to try this week.

I understand that CX is under pressure and all, but for me I am at a point where they're essentially going "fuck you" to their customers. Have lost every single bit of goodwill towards them and am more than willing to sacrifice my miles.

I do not want to sign up for some random credit card and jump through two or three hoops when they could essentially go "all your miles are renewed for use within 3 months of when we start accepting redemptions".

Original Post Deleted
    Expiring is a valid point (and I agree that getting 1HKD/mile is a value you practically never get) but you can get pretty reliably 1c AUD value from miles when paying for revenue tickets with CX (.8c AUD if it involves codeshare carriers). Using asia miles for Amazon is really poor value - if you don't fly, you shouldn't accumulate miles to start with.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast