Like Tree15Likes

How full are flights nowadays? (HK>AUK/SYD)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How full are flights nowadays? (HK>AUK/SYD)

So I've been part of the camp that hasn't travelled out of HK for the past 2.5 years - but given the seemingly continual (touch wood) relaxation of return quarantine requirements, am exploring travelling later this year to Auckland/Sydney open jaw (thus looking at CX).

Anyone here travelled recently on these routes or can comment on how full are flights now, typically?

Presumably they will only get increasingly fuller as the year goes on (assuming quarantine requirements continue to get relaxed). Economy flights are expensive as is, but not sure if it's worth forking out for premium economy which is a little over double the price just to get that bit of extra space. Certainly do not want to be sitting directly next to a stranger for 9+ hours on a flight elbow to elbow in economy (and a full economy cabin can be quite daunting - even pre-COVID).

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by hiki08:
    So I've been part of the camp that hasn't travelled out of HK for the past 2.5 years - but given the seemingly continual (touch wood) relaxation of return quarantine requirements, am exploring travelling later this year to Auckland/Sydney open jaw (thus looking at CX).

Anyone here travelled recently on these routes or can comment on how full are flights now, typically?

Presumably they will only get increasingly fuller as the year goes on (assuming quarantine requirements continue to get relaxed). Economy flights are expensive as is, but not sure if it's worth forking out for premium economy which is a little over double the price just to get that bit of extra space. Certainly do not want to be sitting directly next to a stranger for 9+ hours on a flight elbow to elbow in economy (and a full economy cabin can be quite daunting - even pre-COVID).

Cheers!
    If you fly CX, Premium economy is full both ways.

SYD -> HKG - premium economy was full.
    Plane is pretty full, as it's used as a transit hub to London for CX.

Not sure about business, paying on my own dime.
    needgoodwine and hiki08 like this.

In the same situation as you are, stuck here since the craziness began and have finally decided to give it a go this August (different destination). My guess is that those in the same boat are now eager to take the risk and get out for a bit.

With this in mind, I've accepted the fact that prices of flights from pre-craziness will not be coming back for a while and these are now the normal fares. Also do expect flights to be full.

I'm not sure exactly where you are coming from needing more space (just more space or because of covid/ptsd like symptoms), but my advise is it would be best to go with whatever you are most comfortable with.

In my situation, I took economy for the flight under 3 hours and premium economy for the long haul one, just to be able to relax a bit more.

Am I scared of getting covid - not really but what I'm scared of is the disruption it will bring to my travel plans so I will continue to be mindful and careful as appropriate.

hiki08 and Shiojiri Hiro like this.

Seriously consider flying via Singapore. Deals are better and they have far more flights - giving you some options.

Have you considered flying out of Bangkok?

Appreciate everyone's feedback, especially SYD to HKG.

You can't route the return via Singapore because of the pre-flight PCR test requirements; I think it's the 24 hours thing, so it's not an issue if you stay for a day or two. Otherwise, it's a SIN...

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Seriously consider flying via Singapore. Deals are better and they have far more flights - giving you some options.
    Provided you can stay in SG for a while (if you catch covid)... SG accommodation is not cheap at the moment. There are at least two carriers doing SG -> HKG, so if one gets banned, you can try the other way (Singapore Air and Scoot).

SG won't allow transit, you need to collect your bags, leave customs and immigration and check back in. It generally shouldn't be that long and most people can enter Singapore without too much hassle.

I would prefer direct flights, rather than self check transfers. ymmv
    hiki08 likes this.

Business and Premium Econ would be rather full because of business travellers.

CX Econ is around 1 person per 3 seats leaving HKG to SYD/MEL/BNE etc.
    Most should be able to get entire row to sleep on.
    But depends on timing of your selected flight to any connecting flights.

You can use apps like tripcase add individual flights to see seat loading.

There are reasonable number of Asiamiles Econ standard award seats for SYD to HKG.

Singapore Air is FULL like normal travel days.

needgoodwine, hiki08 and alexdown like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo_jones:
    SG won't allow transit, you need to collect your bags, leave customs and immigration and check back in. It generally shouldn't be that long and most people can enter Singapore without too much hassle.
    What do you mean by this "not allow transit"? I have a flight scheduled from Europe, with transfer in Singapore, to another destination in Asia, using Singapore Airlines and Scoot. The waiting time in Singapore is about 3 hours. No PCR testing, no paperwork or anything is required by Singapore.
    What Singapore does not allow is transferring from one airline to another: they don't allow you to enter the country to pick up your luggage and check-in for your next flight at the second airline company. It has to be the same company who brings you in, and takes you out of Singapore, and your luggage must be forwarded automatically.

@Windmill65 this might be hk specific. I cannot book a single ticket say from LON-SGP-HKG on sq. Have to do two tickets.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast