Like Tree12Likes

Recent Car Rental Insurance Recommendations?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I normally book through Airport Rentals on the web and their cars are normally cheaper than booking direct from the major car hire companies:- Hetrz, Avis, Europcar, Budget, Alamo, Ace, Enterprise. You still pick up the car from the major car hire company.

Have a check and see if they offer a better deal.

Very valid distinction.Agreed worlwideinsurance seems too perfect.Should totally check before opting for it.There will surely be a catch and some hidden terms & condition.Be thorough before opting for it.

Am in the process of putting a claim through worldwideinsurance.com. Will keep you guys updated.

One thing to note though is that it seems you can only receive paying in GBP via a UK bank account (which I do have one), however that may not work for a lot of you guys.

shri and tparker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Am in the process of putting a claim through worldwideinsurance.com. Will keep you guys updated.

One thing to note though is that it seems you can only receive paying in GBP via a UK bank account (which I do have one), however that may not work for a lot of you guys.
    Anyone can get a UK bank account with Monese. PM me if you want a referral link for some free bonus cash for signing up.

I used worldwideinsurance and they have just paid out for a disagreement that I had with a pillar in a car park in there UK in July.. Very happy with the ease of uploading documents online.

They deducted £75 which was the country excess and capped the rental car accident management fee at £50 so I had to pay £25 towards that.

Defo worth taking out, but read the policy small print carefully since they don't cover one way rentals. I was a bit worried that they would reject my claim since I collected from and returned to different venues but since they were both in London they allowed it.

shri, pin and tparker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by meinhkhk:
    a disagreement that I had with a pillar in a car park
    😅

I did end up taking the plunge also, and got an annual plan with worldwideinsurance.

(Un)fortunately I won't get to sample their claims department this time round, but in light of their assurances in #4 I booked through without CDP inclusion, making sure to get a vehicle < £50,000 in value.

(Un)fortunately they upgraded me due to a car shortage, and I ended up with something worth £70,000 in their books.

Hertz insisted that, despite it not saying so in their paperwork, that since they upgraded me the value will be capped at what I had booked. It makes sense (and would be unfair otherwise) yet I wasn't terribly convinced by their delivery.

Something to remain aware of, perhaps!

pin and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:

Just realised that I forgot to update my post. I didn't need to actually go through with the claim.
    ReleaseZeKraken likes this.

I had a similar experience with the rental company, they upgraded me to an Audi.

The disagreement I had with the pillar in the car park was I am embarrassed to say in the car hire car park, even before I had taken the car out.....toothpaste and elbow grease got the scratches off but there was a little dent.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rental companies don't actually repair the cars if it is a small amount of damage, just collect the damage fees from the renter's credit card and mark it on the next renter's form as dent xxx

Incidentally a small dent was billed at quite a whack! I am pleased that I had purchased the insurance

I don't know if this is a thing in Europe, but in the US, when I left (and gave my car to my niece) I called to cancel my car insurance. They told me I could continue my insurance as someone without a car (thus keeping my long-term good driver discounts and such if I ever get a car upon returning to the US). The cost of the insurance is some nominal amount (maybe 40-50 USD every 6 months) and covers rental cars as well as if I drive my mother's car when I go to the US (which is what I normally drive when I am there). At least for Americans, it's very much worth looking into. For me it's especially useful as if I ever move back and get a car, I will be in my 60s when insurance often gets pricier to being an older driver so being a continuous policy-holder with no accidents gets me a good rate.

pin likes this.