Like Tree31Likes

Lost Luggage - Air Tag / Tiles for Android Phone

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Have you not seen the news about luggage piling up at Heathrow?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...k-62169701.amp

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Seriously I wouldnt bother with such tags, I've never lost luggage and even If my luggage had a tracking device, If I knew where the bag was, would I be able to go retrieve it myself, NO CHANCE, tell airline where my bag is, they wouldnt do much apart from waiting on the airport staff to find it when they have time.

Just keep all valuables on you, anything else shove in checked in luggage (very rare to loose it), even if lost by airline it will turn up eventully and delivered
    This Australian guy travelling on Singapore airlines found his luggage with airtags. After not getting his bag for weeks, but he knew exactly where it was in the airport, he marched through the airport, through the "staff only" areas and finally found his bag in a Swissport office (baggage handler for Singapore airlines). He video'd the whole experience. The ground staff were actually quite friendly and helpful in letting him through

https://youtu.be/Ov12CH2xR8g

https://youtu.be/3AJvw5_RnYQ
    rani, emx, shri and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    This Australian guy travelling on Singapore airlines found his luggage with airtags. After not getting his bag for weeks, but he knew exactly where it was in the airport, he marched through the airport, through the "staff only" areas and finally found his bag in a Swissport office (baggage handler for Singapore airlines). He video'd the whole experience. The ground staff were actually quite friendly and helpful in letting him through
    Sounds like it might work in Australia... suspect this would not happen at Heathrow, or any US airport where you'd probably end up arrested/tasered/shot.

Anyways, @rani, if you're going to try something like this, I would recommend the Apple Airtags (and someone elses' iPhone). Any Android based system is just going to be too unpopular and sparsely adopted to be of much use.

Original Post Deleted
    Yup lots of luggage not making the same flights as passengers. Delta even sent an empty plane to collect missing luggage.

Delta Sends Empty Plane to Pick Up Luggage Stranded at London’s Heathrow Airport
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...nded-in-london

Original Post Deleted
    That's good to know! Am arriving in Terminal 2 so not sure if that's worse/better. I maybe overreacting, I just don't want to start my holiday without luggage.
    TheBrit likes this.

4 AirTags for HKD800. Lets you see if your luggage is in the same country, or just out of reach a hundred metres away in a giant pile on the tarmac (not sure which one would be more frustrating, TBH). With a possibility of going in and retrieving it if it's nearby (but the chances of this being so unlikely that you'd be tempted to make a Youtube documentary about it)

Versus

Single travel insurance with 20K of baggage coverage (however that's defined) for ~HKD600.

FWIW, I've messed with Airtags. They're okay, turned out more of a curiosity than something we ever relied on for realtime position tracking. Would probably be more useful if we lived in a country where we had to own a car.

In case you do lose your luggage I’m sure you can just order Nik Naks.

Name:  216CADF0-7610-4DB1-802A-E9A8641B6475.jpeg
Views: 218
Size:  112.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    That's good to know! Am arriving in Terminal 2 so not sure if that's worse/better. I maybe overreacting, I just don't want to start my holiday without luggage.
    rani likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    4 AirTags for HKD800. Lets you see if your luggage is in the same country, or just out of reach a hundred metres away in a giant pile on the tarmac (not sure which one would be more frustrating, TBH). With a possibility of going in and retrieving it if it's nearby (but the chances of this being so unlikely that you'd be tempted to make a Youtube documentary about it)

Versus

Single travel insurance with 20K of baggage coverage (however that's defined) for ~HKD600.

FWIW, I've messed with Airtags. They're okay, turned out more of a curiosity than something we ever relied on for realtime position tracking. Would probably be more useful if we lived in a country where we had to own a car.
    Either way, Apple are the clear winners in all of this

https://www.news.com.au/technology/g...7727e19d9eede0

@jgl let me know if you're willing to sell yours? Only need 2. Will use it for the dog after this trip.

I've already bought travel insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    @jgl let me know if you're willing to sell yours? Only need 2. Will use it for the dog after this trip.

I've already bought travel insurance.
    I have lost them (yes, I recognise the irony here).
    Milocate, shri, bdw and 2 others like this.