Like Tree41Likes

Daughter going to England

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Daughter going to England

My daughter is going over to the UK to visit friends. First time to travel by herself and never been before. Is there an equivalent to Alipay or octopus card. What would be the cheapest way to pay for food, daily expenses without carrying around to much cash. Also would need to top up in Hong Kong. Also how safe is it to Uber from London to Exeter(friends home) thx

Do you have an HSBC account? Get a HSBC Debit Mastercard for them - preferably linked to an account that has a small balance.

Make sure they know the PIN (4 digits I think for UK) if they need to withdraw cash - but that seems to be almost irrelevant these days, with everyone, including buskers accepting contactless Visa/MC payments.

You can refill that account from HK...

https://www.hsbc.com.hk/debit-cards/...rd-debit-card/

zchak and Tom007 like this.

Yes hsbc thx that sounds a good option

Ok thx will tell her to get more info on the travel between London and Exeter thx

Might even struggle find an uber driver willing to take that booking as its about a 7 hour round trip.

There may be cheap domestic flights from London to Exeter too as there are currently rail strikes at the moment (dont know when shes going)

zchak likes this.

Going next month. I will look into domestic flights thx

Quote Originally Posted by zchak:
    Going next month. I will look into domestic flights thx
    I just checked for you, surprisingly there are no direct flights from london to exeter.

Looks like Flybe fly from Heathrow to Newquay though, which is about an hour an half by car. Id only consider this is she is flying into heathrow and connection times are kind otherwise the train is the best option.
    Last edited by Trebor; 03-01-2023 at 02:11 PM.
    zchak likes this.

Another very cheap option is coach so avoiding the risk of rail strikes

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en/d...ndon-to-exeter

Ok thx this is great. Also saw no direct flights. Will look into coach thx

The coach is definitely a very viable option. Victoria Coach station is very easy to find and they’re very helpful. Definitively ahead of Uber and the train given the uncertainty of strikes on the latter.

aw451 and zchak like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast