Like Tree8Likes

HK passport online application long wait times

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HK passport online application long wait times

What gives?

Trying to renew HK passport and am in a queuing system before I can apply. Last night the wait time indicated over 2 hours.

Is everything being processed by one computer at the HK government end?

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Is everything being processed by one computer at the HK government end?
    Manually, somebody has to print all the applications and fax them to ImmD.
    pin likes this.

I guess we were lucky - when it came time to book our first trip in 3 years late last year, my partner realised her passport had expired in the meantime. We walked into the passport office in TST, queued for about 20 minutes to use one of the application machines, then she got a message about 5 days later to say it was ready to collect - was all surprisingly quick and easy!

Drunken Master likes this.

I'd suggest trying at a different time of day. I did mine last Sept/Oct and it was really easy. Took me more time to get a decent photo to upload...and collection took <5mins from that office next to IFC. My leavehomesafe confirmed it...!

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Manually, somebody has to print all the applications and fax them to ImmD.

Good luck, you and 900,000 other people now all trying to apply at the same time.
    It has nothing to do with gov system, it is just people neglecting to renew.
    Same story in every other country when travel resumed.
    Over 900,000 SAR passports expire during pandemic - RTHK

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by redslert:
    Good luck, you and 900,000 other people now all trying to apply at the same time.
    It has nothing to do with gov system, it is just people neglecting to renew.
    Same story in every other country when travel resumed.
    Over 900,000 SAR passports expire during pandemic - RTHK
    But still that means the government IT system is overloaded right?

Ended up sorting it out this morning. Two applications done in 15 mins. In that sense the process once you get on is fast.

For photos ended up just paying and going to fotomax.
    shri likes this.

Absolutely completely normal for every country that opened up after the pandemic, a rush on passports. HK just following everyone else but 6-12 months behind. Last year in Australia was chaos, people had flights booked, ordered passports 2 or 3 months before their flight, but still a few days before flight and no passport, forced to camp outside Australian passport offices for days just to be able to scream at someone behind the counter that they need their passport now! The government did the best they could to prioritize passports to those with flights, telling people camped outside the offices to fuck off unless you have a flight in the next 3 days (of course most people camped out are in this situation so the lines didnt get much shorter).

Fast forward 6 months, yesterday Qantas just reported their biggest profit ever in the history of the airline. Over $1.5billion in half yearly profits ($3bln/year), and are promising now to slash airfares. So dont be surprised if CX start recording their best ever results in 6-12 months from now. BUY CX 0293 SHARES RIGHT NOW IF YOU WANT TO GET RICH QUICKLY!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Absolutely completely normal for every country that opened up after the pandemic, a rush on passports. HK just following everyone else but 6-12 months behind. Last year in Australia was chaos, people had flights booked, ordered passports 2 or 3 months before their flight, but still a few days before flight and no passport, forced to camp outside Australian passport offices for days just to be able to scream at someone behind the counter that they need their passport now! The government did the best they could to prioritize passports to those with flights, telling people camped outside the offices to fuck off unless you have a flight in the next 3 days (of course most people camped out are in this situation so the lines didnt get much shorter).

Fast forward 6 months, yesterday Qantas just reported their biggest profit ever in the history of the airline. Over $1.5billion in half yearly profits ($3bln/year), and are promising now to slash airfares. So dont be surprised if CX start recording their best ever results in 6-12 months from now. BUY CX 0293 SHARES RIGHT NOW IF YOU WANT TO GET RICH QUICKLY!!!!!
    I get it may take a long time to process but why should there be a waitlist of more than an hour just to do the application online?

Last night was frustrating. I actually waited about an hour (doing other stuff) then when it was my turn an error came up along the lines of oh sorry there was something wrong with your ticket, you have to go to the back of the queue again.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    I get it may take a long time to process but why should there be a waitlist of more than an hour just to do the application online?

Last night was frustrating. I actually waited about an hour (doing other stuff) then when it was my turn an error came up along the lines of oh sorry there was something wrong with your ticket, you have to go to the back of the queue again.
    I guess its because the government are really smart, they know they dont have a snowballs chance in hell of being able to produce the passports for the sheer number of applicants that are requesting, so they get on top of the game by limiting the number of applicants, only the really dedicated and those desperate to travel will bother applying at this time .

Computing power is not infinite but finite.
    How many tabs/windows do you normally run on your PC?
    What happens if you suddenly try to load up 100 pages at the same time?

Your PC like all systems serves normal usage.
    You don't over spend buying multiple PCs just for the sake of one time surge in usage because that would be a waste of money/resources.

The queuing system works to enable people to continue to fully submit applications rather than having slowness or half-submissions etc.

Warnings about this passport renewal surge was sent out last year but few took notice.

traineeinvestor likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast