Like Tree14Likes

Hong Kong: A̶s̶i̶a̶'s̶ W̶o̶r̶l̶d̶ C̶i̶t̶y̶

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Now you can use elderly healthcare voucher in two selected dental clinics in Shenzhen.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ndt:
    Reminds me funny story of a friend who went to Dongmun market for shopping in good old days 2 decades ago, he had a lingering pain in wisdom tooth so went to Lowu Shopping mall and saw good price doctor for extraction, after some discussion and explanations, he got the job done.. After he came out and went on his merry way in Lowu mall, he realised that the pain was still there, turns out Doc had removed other healthy tooth instead of the one which was causing pain..

Not saying things are still the same there but this running joke never gets old in our group whenever we think of that person or someone talk about dental service in China..
    bla, I guess you like regurgitating funny stories then.
    You know nothing about dental service in China.

Had approx 10 porcelain fillings done, all at the same place, only one turned out to be problematic due to different glue used. All others, including the one redone last for more than 15 years.
    Dentist even corrected me about one problematic tooth, as I thought it was a different one.
    travelem likes this.

Too bad the Kowloon Walled City is no more to get yourself sorted cheaply from the...erm..."dentists" working there.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:

Had approx 10 porcelain fillings done, all at the same place, only one turned out to be problematic due to different glue used. All others, including the one redone last for more than 15 years.
    Dentist even corrected me about one problematic tooth, as I thought it was a different one.
    Any recos? In the market for an implant

Only one problematic one!

Wow result!

How many problematic ones were you expecting?

What exactly is new about some HKers going to Shenzhen for cheaper prices? They've been going for spa treatments, shopping and food for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelensky2:
    Only one problematic one!

Wow result!

How many problematic ones were you expecting?
    You are just a comedian

I'm surprised no one has commented about these passages that hint at the "Locusts" who come in and consume without following the local customs.

Some weekends, there are so many Hong Kongers in Shenzhen malls that locals have joked that the visitors have “occupied” them.

Ms. Yiu [a Hong Konger] said local patrons had stared at them as they grabbed as many sticks as they could. Someone at a nearby table said, “This is the style of Hong Kong people, as if they don’t need money!”

Hong Kong has a separate currency from China, and its merchants still rely heavily on cash for payments. China’s main form of payments is digital. . . To help visiting shoppers, posters plastered in Shenzhen’s stores and subway stations explain how Hong Kong residents can use WeChat and Alipay. Tourists can also pay in Hong Kong dollars and not convert their money to Chinese renminbi.

But paying doesn’t always go that smoothly. On her most recent trip, Ms. Shuen used cash to buy dandelions that her son uses in his Chinese medicine practice in Hong Kong, as well as some dried shrimp. But she said paying with cash was difficult.

It can be hard to get around Shenzhen, too. Two women from Hong Kong had to ask a Shenzhen resident, Kristen Lu, 28, how to use local navigational apps on their phones. They had not realized that Google Maps doesn’t work in mainland China because the company is blocked.
    shri likes this.

Err why so serious!! Patriotism easily get offended or forgot to have little fun in life! last para in my post clearly says i have no clue how things are these days, i am sure things must have improved in last two decades but it doesnt change the fact that there were lot of shaddy practices then as well..

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    The issues I have with things like dental implants mentioned above - are they seriously genuinely and completely original and safe, or Taobao Tofu implants.

The cost in HK is prohibitive compared to India or Thailand, but given my ignorance of Shenzhen based dentist's reputation and that I really do not think i can research them effectively, I'd still recommend Thailand or India, depending on ones schedule and risk profile (i.e. getting shit put into your mouth and the "warranty/service center" is a day or two away... )
    I've had dental work done in Shenzhen, was great work. It wasn't any cheaper than in HK, but the dentist was also from Australia.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2