Like Tree24Likes

Do you travel in disguise ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Do you travel in disguise ?

I realized traveling around with an Osprey bagpack ( or any brandname ) inflates the price when looking for a room or food while on the road.
    Same applies to expensive hiking pants, shoes, or any apparel.
    In addition, all these things increase the chances of being robbed.

Consequently, I have already found a no name, in fact, no label at all, Rucksack
    which is still good quality and quite functional.
    I will also buy one of these huge blue/white/red Chinese plastic bags to cover my suitcase.

Anyone else traveling the world low profile?

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    I realized traveling around with an Osprey bagpack ( or any brandname ) inflates the price when looking for a room or food while on the road.
    Same applies to expensive hiking pants, shoes, or any apparel.
    In addition, all these things increase the chances of being robbed.

Consequently, I have already found a no name, in fact, no label at all, Rucksack
    which is still good quality and quite functional.
    I will also buy one of these huge blue/white/red Chinese plastic bags to cover my suitcase.

Anyone else traveling the world low profile?
    It has always come naturally to me

Do prices really get hiked depending on what brands you are wearing, using? Would most people even recognize them?
    MABinPengChau likes this.

I think we take HK safety for granted. There's a lot more pickpocketing and theft in the US/UK/EU. So yes, when I travel I try not to draw attention and wear costume jewelry, a cheap smart watch and bag.

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    I think we take HK safety for granted. There's a lot more pickpocketing and theft in the US/UK/EU. So yes, when I travel I try not to draw attention and wear costume jewelry, a cheap smart watch and bag.
    That is crime though and I understand that but the OP is talking about prices being hiked. Do you wear costume jewellery to get cheaper hotel rates?
    rani likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    That is crime though and I understand that but the OP is talking about prices being hiked. Do you wear costume jewellery to get cheaper hotel rates?
    no, cos we book in advance. i don't buy anything without a price sticker.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    It has always come naturally to me

Do prices really get hiked depending on what brands you are wearing, using? Would most people even recognize them?
    Yes, really, really.
    The very fact that they don’t recognize them makes you rich.
    I have also heard ” oh, you have two phones “ countless times, when both are almost ten year old i5.
    Whereas in China, literally, everyone has two phones

If you're white traveling around Asia then I don't think it makes a difference what backpack you have.

BTW I never in my life thought 'that person has an osprey backpack he must be minted'.

As soon as people open their mouths in many foreign countries, it's obvious that they are foreigners which in itself is an excellent opportunity and far more likely to cause a price rise than the brand of your clothes or backpack. With so many properties available to book online, it's also very easy for a seasoned traveler to know prices and simply walk away if bookings have not been made or do it on the spot online. As for traveling with two phones, I don't know how people would know that unless you are overtly displaying it which makes no sense to me.

It's certainly not a new concept not to travel with overt displays of wealth but from much experience, there is absolutely no need to go the extra mile. I have never owned a suitcase and that in itself is as much a target as anything. Anyway, language, skin colour and general travel attire are usually enough to make a person stand out enough for those looking to try something. Part and parcel of independent travel...

Quote Originally Posted by paddylast:
    If you're white traveling around Asia then I don't think it makes a difference what backpack you have.

BTW I never in my life thought 'that person has an osprey backpack he must be minted'.
    Perhaps for those of us who already pay a white surcharge we don't give a thought to clothes etc bumping up the price.
    Morrison and East_coast like this.

Buy a branded backpack and then dirty it up and superficially scratch it. Patch a rag over the branding. If you’re doing serious walking or loading, you’ll appreciate the “technology” (ventilation, ergonomics) in the backpack.

Showing up in a beat up backpack or with scratched up walking sticks regardless the brand is better than shiny new equipment regardless the brand.

Besides not flaunting wealth as you’re worried about, it’d also suggest you’re are a season traveller who knows his/her way around the world.

Morrison likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast