Visiting Jan/Feb 06: some questions... :D

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Visiting Jan/Feb 06: some questions... :D

Hi! [from aus]

I'm visiting HK in the new year with my partner for our honeymoon [Yay!], and being excited, I am doing some preliminary research ..

We are probably staying at the Harbour Plaza HK in Hung Hom. From what I can gather, it's a little out of the main action, so to speak.

We don't mind walking places [we'll need to to work off all the food], so I was wondering if this was a viable option [ie not too much hassle], or is it a little too far out, not that we mind catching taxis, public transport etc [as well as a regular shuttle service from the hotel I think].

Also, I was wondering how the Lunar New Year Celebrations may affect things. I've read that shops may close down for a period, and that it can get pretty crowded during those times. Is this likely to cause problems?

Ahh.. I think that's all for now.

Looking forward to visiting your beautiful city! thx!

Strange place to come for a honeymoon! But anyway, plenty of taxis at the Harbour Plaza. And there is a ferry pier 2 mins walk away with service to Central, Wanchai and North Point, the only problem being that it stops around 7:30pm so you will need some other transport after that.

Compared to Australia, HK is always crowded.

CNY is less closed down than it used to be, partly because of thenumber of Mainland tourists visiting. It is unlikely to affect you in the places you are likley to want to go.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by berryplucker
    Strange place to come for a honeymoon!
    Berryplucker, what the hell is that all about? HK is in NO way a strange place for a honeymoon, it's just the negative outlook on life you have thats strange! Cheer up and stop whining all the time.

Places that do get crowded are near the waterfront in TST, as everyone comes out to see the lights and fireworks.

Rani

Hi,

I assume that you are staying at the Harbour Plaza Metropolis. If that is the case don't worry, you are close to Hung Hom KCR station, the main bus interchange and of course more HK taxis than you can count! Tsim Sha Tsui is only a 10/15 min walk away, so you're nearby to main shopping district and MTR trains. Of course you could just get the KCR train to TST East and change to MTR there or get a bus/taxi straight over to HK island. You wont be far from all the action so to speak!

jaykay

thanks for all your replies!

jaykay: we're looking at staying at the Harbour Plaza Hong Kong, which is different to the Metropolis i think [but close]..

20 Tak Fung Street
    Whampoa Garden, Hunghom
    Kowloon, Hong Kong

berryplucker: I've visited a couple of times when I was a teen and always felt a great compatibility with HK, and my partner and I are both not laze round the resort type people [enough good beaches here!], more go eat and try different things, sensual overload is our style

thanks again everybody, your input has been most helpful!

I think that it is a great location for a honeymoon. Chinese New Year is great but obviously very crowded. Check out the HK tourism website and you can find out details for lion dances, processions and fireworks. I think that the fireworks are best from HK Island side near the HK Convention and Exhibtion Centre - but get there early! The noise rebounds off the skyscrappers and it is immense.

hi!

i was going to ask about that actually:

where are the fireworks held, ie i'm guessing they're set off from some central location and you can view from many places.. i'm been trying to work out if i may be able to see them from my hotel room [ie if i get a harbourview room is it reasonable likely] or if it'd be better to go mingle on the streets etc.. i haven't been able to find much concrete info on CNY specific events, maybe a little too soon..

also what day/time are the fireworks usually held?

The fireworks are always at 8pm. They are fired from 3 barges moored in the middle of the harbour. Hung Hom is a little bit too far east for a good view. The best view is from the waterfront at TST or by the Convention Centre, but it gets very crowded and you need to be there a couple of hours before in order to secure a reasonable vantage point.

Yes - the fireworks are fired from the harbour from Central to Causeway Bay

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast