Vietnam visa for cruise entry

Vietnam visa for cruise entry

Anyone cruised from HK to Vietnam on Costa cruises and know what is needed re a Vietnamese visa? I've tried emailing my travel agent (useless) and the cruise line (no reply) and the Vietnamese consulate here (no reply) so wondered if anyone else here had any info. Do I need a single or double entry visa (we stop in two ports) or no visa (some websites suggest the vietnamese have a "special exception" for cruise passengers) or does the cruise line issue them (some sites suggest Princess issue on board and charge anyway even if you get one yourself beforehand!). So, slightly confused by all this conflicting info....

I'll be travelling on a Australian passport over CNY.

e-visa

Not sure about whether cruises are exempted from getting a visa but I got mine online. You'll need to check the port of entry however, will accept the e-visa

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Konijntje:
    Not sure about whether cruises are exempted from getting a visa but I got mine online. You'll need to check the port of entry however, will accept the e-visa

Good luck!
    How did you do that? I have not seen anything about e-visa.

www.Visa-Vietnam.Org

There's a tab under e-visa. I don't know how much it costs via the consulate here in HK, but the evisa was a third of the price the embassy in Belgium was asking. They also have a email enquiry address, maybe you'll get a bit more response than from your travel agent.
    Enjoy !

A few years back when going on the star cruises to Ha Loong Bay, paid 150 for a visa that was a piece of paper only, when leaving the ship the paper was taken away, no chops no nothing, entering or leaving which was weird so no evidence of me ever going to vietnam in my passport.

Been There, Done That.

The cruiseliner should take care of it.

I went to Hanglong Bay with Star Cruises and it was a mere formalitie.

The Bay Tour and Area is nothing to write home about but the Visa is of not much concern.

It is a simple paper and when you leave the boat they withhold your passport at Immigration and it is given back to the boat. In otherwords, you have to go back to the boat or your stranded.

So don't worry, I didn't know when I went there and nobody could explain to me either.

Have a nice trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Konijntje:
    www.Visa-Vietnam.Org

There's a tab under e-visa. I don't know how much it costs via the consulate here in HK, but the evisa was a third of the price the embassy in Belgium was asking. They also have a email enquiry address, maybe you'll get a bit more response than from your travel agent.
    Enjoy !
    Thanks for this - I was quite hopeful but it says it only works at the airport so I guess I'm back to square one.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:

A few years back when going on the star cruises to Ha Loong Bay, paid 150 for a visa that was a piece of paper only, when leaving the ship the paper was taken away, no chops no nothing, entering or leaving which was weird so no evidence of me ever going to vietnam in my passport.
    Not on a Star Cruise but hopefully Costa have the same arrangements so perhaps I don't need to get one in advance....

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Thanks for this - I was quite hopeful but it says it only works at the airport so I guess I'm back to square one.

Not on a Star Cruise but hopefully Costa have the same arrangements so perhaps I don't need to get one in advance....
    Call the Italian headquarters of Costa, they usually speak English quite well and will be able to assist you.

For European passport holders the information can be found here I guess:
    http://www.costacroisieres.fr/B2C/F/...on/travel.htm#
    (surely also in English somewhere...)

Great - thanks - the English page does not actually have quite the same info but I can read French and I think that page indicated I need a transit visa and said nothing about getting a vietnamese one on board (seemed to say one could get a chinese one onboard though). Thanks.