Any views on Harbin?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any views on Harbin?

We were thinking of a weekend trip to Harbin to see the ice sculptures - has anyone been? Does anyone know of a "package" tour we might get (to save the risk that speaking no mandarin we are worried about coping in China - don't laugh!). Or is Harbin an OK place for English speakers? Any views appreciated.

I'm thinking about it also. Here's one link. Doesn't include air though.

http://www.chinaholidays.com/tours/content.php?tid=25#

the following according to a old report in Dragon air said that they did Harbin packages, worth the try to call them up and ask.

Travellers interested in more information should contact any one of the eight agents offering Harbin packages: China Travel Services (Hong Kong) Ltd. (tel: 2998 7333); Evergloss Tours Co. Ltd. (tel: 2315 2000); Hong Thai Travel Service Ltd. (tel: 2108 8888); Morning Star Travel Service Ltd. (tel: 2519 8088); Package Tours (HK) Ltd. (tel: 3443 0707); P&O Travel Ltd. (tel: 2808 0833); Sunflower Travel Service Ltd. (tel: 2732 2888); or Wing On Travel Service Ltd. (tel: 2928 8882).

I decided to try my luck at independent travel in the end - have booked flights on Ctrip with Shenzhen airlines and the hotel in harbin with Holiday Inn points (ie free) .... so hubby and I are about to find out if we can hope in china!!! Perhaps a crash course in survival putonghua might be in order!

This link came up recently for pictures of this years festival already:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/200...nd_nights.html

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    This link came up recently for pictures of this years festival already:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/200...nd_nights.html
    Great pictures, looks fun but i hate the cold. I would rather be on a nice warm beach with a cold beer. Just looking at the pictures made me want to put my jacket on. Those people diving in the lakes must be mad.

My wife and I are heading over to Harbin on the 16th...just brought all our winter gear back from the US. Should be a fun time.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    We were thinking of a weekend trip to Harbin to see the ice sculptures - has anyone been? Does anyone know of a "package" tour we might get (to save the risk that speaking no mandarin we are worried about coping in China - don't laugh!). Or is Harbin an OK place for English speakers? Any views appreciated.
    One word of advise, we were told there are no ATMs in Harbin and it's not Credit Card friendly....so you may want to bring all your cash with you that you intend to spend.

hey thanks for that info! I didn't realise... Although hopefully the Holiday Inn will take credit cards for incidentals.

No worry for the credit card in holiday inn. You better change your HKD to RMB in hong kong as you will have better rate than in the hotel in Harbin.

Also the concierge should be able to help you to write all the address you wanna go in Chinese so you can easily take taxi to travel around.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast