Dragonair Flight Delay - why the switch?

Closed Thread

Dragonair Flight Delay - why the switch?

On Shanghai -Hongkong flight, KA801 scheduled departure is 1720H and KA891 is 1820H. Yesterday, KA800 from HK to Shanghai was late in its departure by 3.5 hours. However. instead of KA 801 return flight consequently delayed by 3.5 hours, there has been a switch of plane such that KA 801 was late in its departure by 1 hour flying at 1820H, and KA 891 delayed by 2.5 hours using the KA800 plane.

for insiders in the airline industry, what could have been behind such a switch?

1) is it better to inconvenient 2 planeload of passengers (was fully booked and if we assume 300 passengers each) 600 people with 300 on 1 hour delay and 300 on 2.5 hour delay, than have only 300 people delayed by 3.5 hours while 300 fly out on time on their scheduled time and plane? is there any psychology study that would possibly indicate that passengers can tolerate less than 3 hour delay without raising big fuss of it?

2) could it be that lots of KA801 passengers have connecting flights out of HK such that it may cost Dragonair significant expense if they are to missed out of their connecting flights? I notice that for the standby list, some KA 891 with connecting flights are the first priority to be squeezed into the KA801 flight ahead of Marco Polo club members.

i'm interested to hear your views.

Last couple of times flying out of Shangahi the delays were blamed on Air Traffic... either air force or vips flying through or missles being tested ... whatever it may be. A couple of pilots do tell me that the delays make no sense and need no reason.

I know that DragonAir/CX have cancelled some flights to/from Shanghai, Beijing and Taipei recently due to light loads. Also, in my experience, Shanghai does not have very good on-time performance anyway, similar to what Shri mentioned.

If there are delays, they do look after people with connecting flights first. People with MP status generally do not take precedent because of the cost factor (which you mentioned).

Also, the business-class loads on this sector has reduced, so there would have been these seats available for Op-Ups or people needing to be on that flight to make their connection.

Last edited by Crocodile; 17-01-2009 at 09:19 PM.

i try where possible to avoid flying out of Shanghai on a friday night because there is always seems to be delays and or cancelations (on dragonair). I've heard the same reasons as shri - air traffic issues

Last time flying out of shanghai, i was stuck on the plane for 2 hours, reason was too much traffic along the coast. Next to our plane was Korean air that just landed and got passengers off and on and took off faster than us.