Orient Thai Airlines?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool Orient Thai Airlines?

Hey guys, I am not experienced with flying within Asia, so wanted to ask a question. I am going to thailand for a weekend and my friend has booked my flights from HK to bKK for me, on orient thai airlines. my friend said its an awful airline with old planes, now im scared!

anyone had any experience

have u seen the series "LOST".

tex

do a google on it for safety record! peace of mind is worth more than the savings IMO.

Agreed - I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

The China Airlines 747 that fell out of the sky between Taipei and HK a couple of years ago was on its last flight before being handed over to Orient Thai.

Their reliability is terrible (often see them cancelled or delayed on the screens when I am at CLK). The planes are very old - I don't know any major airline that still flies 747-100 & -200 series for passengers. And by all reports they are extremely tatty inside.

When CX (or TG for that matter) has many flights each day and you can get tickets at published fares for less than HK$2000 roundtrip (and less through specials) is it really worth whatever you are saving?

Orient Thai safety

Hi there,

maybe you should check this page:
    http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/orient_thai.htm
    Best and worse about orient Thai (and all the other airlines by the way).
    Anyway I traveled on these old school orient thai planes round trip Hong Kong - Phuket for the chinese new year and it was definitely all right. On the way there the plane departed and arrived on time, no major thing, actually they are so ghetto and broke that I think they try harder with the little they have, and was kind of nice.
    On the way back, something like 10 minutes late, but again, nothing special.
    Yes the plane wasn't brand new, but it managed to fly us safely so I think that's what it's supposed to do.
    On these very short flights to bangkok or Phuket, I don't think it really matters anyway if you get the best service or food.
    They do have a bad reputation, and seems like the often suck in some way, but sounds like anybody can get over it, and just enjoy your trip, and don't worry they are still much better than Aeroflot or others.

Cheers

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

If they let the planes land at CLK, shouldn't certain basic requirements have to be met?

For real cheap flights a little trip to Macau may be in order.

Another Thai airline in the news
    Phuket Air quietly barred from UK

http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.asp?id=4269

Quote Originally Posted by kristof
    and don't worry they are still much better than Aeroflot
    Er, sorry? Aeroflot's international flights are not at all bad... particularly in the front cabins (which are dramatically cheaper than other airlines on the same route).

Aerorientthai ...

Well I didn't have the chance to try the international Aeroflot flights, which have a good reputation. Just their domestic flights which also have a terrible reputation as Orient Thai's flights, and it wasn't good of course, but it wasn't as horrible as expected, and nothing I couldn't stand.

Anyway when flying budget, we can't expect a great service, just get from one point to the other and that's it, we get what we pay for.
    About the safety aspect, well it seems that some have a terrible reputation, but also looks like any of them might "fall", from the worse airlines in the world to the nicest concord, and looks looks we can't do much about it.

Orient Thai passed their Civil Aviation check last time ,so they are officially 'go'...bt yes I also hear their flights are often cancelled if not enough punters on board...would I fly with them...well...noooo, but then I am a chicken...and the good airlines are not that exxy.If you are after cheap but don't fall from the sky that often
    ,Gulf Air ..but they are chronically late to and from HK-BKK,by the way and they don't have a baggage 'agreement' ie baksheesh ' crossed palms with Bangkok Air so you will have to check in again Lah!!!what fun!
    Miss P

I've flown two round-trip flights with Orient Thai and both were trouble-free and on time. Just don't eat the food.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast