Visa Free Travel to China (Shenzhen)

Closed Thread

Visa Free Travel to China (Shenzhen)

What types of Documents allows visa free travel to China?
    HKASR Passprt?
    HKSAR Document of Identity?
    China Back Home Pass?
    Any others?

I am a HKID card holder with the Right to Land Status. I want to travel to china regularly, but obviously i dont want to pay for a visa everythime i need to travel. I am a british Passport holder.

I believe i may be entitled to one of the HK travel docs, but need to know what the best for my needs. Docs such as the HKSAR Passport is only for Chinese people, so i can't get this.

Thanks in advance

I think you have no choice but to use your passport with a multi-entry visa.

HK residency has nothing to do with nationality.

Quote Originally Posted by kostas:
    I think you have no choice but to use your passport with a multi-entry visa.

HK residency has nothing to do with nationality.
    But if you were born in HK then it may?

Have you read this before?
    http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/topical_2.htm

Quote Originally Posted by kostas:
    Just did, so thanks for that. So that clears that up then.

ap999 are you Chinese born in HK? Is your HKID card a permanent one? If both yes, you can apply for the China Back Home Pass. One point when you apply for the doc, in the nationality you just put Chinese, no matter you're UK/US passport holder.

Sorry to drudge this up again, but wanted to clarify -

Only ethnically Chinese and HKSAR citizens are eligible for the China Back Home Pass? If one were born in HK but not of Chinese nationality, this wouldn't apply?

Quote Originally Posted by Aj149:
    Sorry to drudge this up again, but wanted to clarify -

Only ethnically Chinese and HKSAR citizens are eligible for the China Back Home Pass? If one were born in HK but not of Chinese nationality, this wouldn't apply?
    Not necessarily. People not of Chinese nationality with the Right of Abode in Hong Kong can always apply for naturalisation and they will be eligible for a home return permit like any other ethnic Chinese.

I have the same status as the first poster - Right to Land and holding a foreign passport. We're both not considered Chinese citizens on the grounds that we acquired foreign citizenship upon birth. In order to become a citizen, we'd have to apply for naturalisation like anyone else dispite our Chinese backgrounds.

Going back to the main topic, there are only three nationalities that I know of that can benefit from visa-free travel -- Republic of Singapore , Brunei and Japan. Any nationals from these three countries get 14 days without a visa upon arrival. I wonder if it's holders of these passports can extend their stay by doing a visa run.
    Last edited by Aritaurus; 05-11-2006 at 01:15 PM.

1) The question of "visa-free" nowadays usually ONLY RELATE to entry into a country by FOREIGN NATIONALS. (Thus- in the present context- it should be focused on visa-free access by NON-CHINESE nationals)

2) Those who hold the HKSAR passport, Home permit (or mainland travel permit), other Chinese passports, etc., that is, all those who possess Chinese nationality, do not fall within the scope of the question of visa-free access.

3) China (mainland) grants visa-free access to the citizens of a number of countries, e.g. SIngapore, japan., and especially those who hold a diplomatic or official passport. You may see www.fmprc.gov.cn for more details