Like Tree1Likes

Pratas Islands

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

A few friends from work tried to organise a junk trip to ninebluff island (near Sai Kung) a whle back unfortunately cancelled and replaced with a hike at Tai Wai due to potentially bad weather, I think a boat trip would be an awesome idea and certainly great fun...

Squid, aren't you thinking about the Ninepin islands?

If so, I've already been there on a kayak

Hongkies call them "islands," in reality they are just a group of rocks u_u There were quite a few squid-boats jigging in the area when I paddled there in 2007

Incidentally, I've also paddled to the Bluff Is. of Sai Kung (east of TKO). In fact, I made camp there for the night, and two stray dogs came down to visit me!

If you're interested in the Ninepins or the Sai Kung Bluff Islands, I can probably move my kayaks to the Beach near TKO and launch from there. But you still have to get your own paddle and spray deck first The Bluff Islands we can reach easily in 2 hours or so, the Ninepins can be more challenging though, and we probably shouldn't brave them until we've worked with each other a few times.

There are no border crossing facilities on the Wanshan Islands and the only way to legally go there is by taking the boat from Zhuhai.

Fun bit of trivia: in the 90s Hong Kong men would take so called "shampoo boats" to mostly Wailingding and Guishan to visit "hair salons" and Karaoke bars for a quick and cheap bit of fun. Could easily go there without needing to register the crossing.

hike likes this.

It is not possible to get near or land there by a HK/Macau/Mainland vessel. Taiwan doesn't allow and arrests people as illegal immigrants there.

Quote Originally Posted by thisdress:
    There is a group of Islands 300km southeast of Hong Kong, called the Pratas Islands. It looks breath-takingly beautiful from Google Earth.

Have been oogling at the satellite images since 2006. Recently, somebody made a wikipedia entry about the Pratas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratas_Islands

I would love to visit these Islands. Since it's not very far from Hong Kong I'm thinking of going by sea. If any of you know how to obtain a visa/ landing permit, or who to ask, please enlighten me.

Thanks a lot.