Best places to...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best places to...

Last time I lived abroad for an extended period of time, it took me a while to discover the "best" places to go for whatever I needed... This is vague, I know, but here's my situation:

Aside from housing, I have a 1500 HKD/week budget. This pays for food/transportation/laundry and the occasional purchase of clothes etc. I am very minimalistic in that I eat maybe two meals a day, but most likely one with a few snacks here and there. I travel everywhere by MTR-but I use it about 8-9 time a day. I also frequently use the internet which the one I know of is 13 HKD/hour (I use it for one-two hours a day for emailing etc.).

With my budget (this is the important part), what is the best place to...

...eat?

Something small, but hopefully convenient. I prefer western food, though I don't mind the local flavors. I don't want to spend more than 80 HKD/meal. If it could be less than 50, that would be great. And no McDonald's, please.

...check email?

Pacific Coffee is too expensive (price of coffee), and I have only been able to find one internet cafe (near TST MTR) and I have a feeling that 13 HKD is way more than average (in Beijing, I paid the equivolent to 3 HKD and hour).

...get a hair cut?

Nothing fancy, but english speaking is preferable. Prefer it to be cheap, but as I only need one during my stay here, I may indulge here

...Hang out?

I'm 18, and find that the bars/clubs cater to the older crowd. What can a kid like me do? It doesn't have to totally be foreigners only. I don't mind mingling with the local crowd (since they speak English, and I speak Mandarin fairly well). But age is a factor...

...buy fake dvds/cds?

Sorry for repeating this question in the other thread. But here it is again.

Ok. There they are. I would very much appreciate any and all advice. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherAmerican:
    ...check email?

Pacific Coffee is too expensive (price of coffee), and I have only been able to find one internet cafe (near TST MTR) and I have a feeling that 13 HKD is way more than average (in Beijing, I paid the equivolent to 3 HKD and hour).
    I saw one 6-7 months ago in Jubilee Street, Central next to the Central Martket. Not sure if it still there. Could go check.

>> ...check email?

Post Offices and Libraries in Hong Kong offer free access to webmail.

>> fake shit ....

Err .. take that question somewhere else. You're using your corporate network and I can assure you that if the men in black were to ask us, we would not hesitate to reveal IP addresses. I'd be more than happy to provide you with a wake up call, should you need one -- from one of the senior folks at your company, who happen to be regulars at our happy hour. Its a small world we all live in, lets not mess it up by displaying a complete lack of common sense.

...eat?

Well ideal for student life (I've been there) is to eat a set meal at Yoshinoya, the japanese foodchain. They have set rice with chicken meals, which cost you HKD 13-15, if you order before 6 o clock in the evening, including drinks. They taste very good, come with vegetables, and are certainly not as cholesterol heavy as McD would be.

ummm...

@KIA -threatening to tell his boss because he asked about fake dvds? It's not like he asked you for a good place to hide the bodies! I'm not sure I like the idea of being policed by my friendly local forum...

some of the MTR stations (Central and Causeway Bay for sure) also have free Internet kiosks (which you are limited to 10 minutes of usage, in theory if others are waiting)

sorry

I appreciate the warning, though I'm not sure if threatening to tell my boss was waranted. I didn't mean to threaten the wellbeing of this forum by requesting illegal information and I am sorry for that. Not that you need my permission, but you can delete this, and any other post I've made regarding this subject matter...

But to those to whom did reply, thanks!

Not a threat. A reality check.

Trust me, I know what your bosses know about your surfind habits.

...eat?
    If you are in the Wanchai area at lunch there are cheap set lunches available for $69. Try Carnegies, Devil's Advocate or White Stag.

...check email?
    I don't have much need myself but have come across a couple on Lock Road, TST; one has flat panel iMacs.

...get a hair cut?
    Try the hairdresser on the ground floor of the Bank of America tower.

>> Hair Cut

Try the salon at the at the bottom of the escalator, between Queens Road and Stanley Street. If I recall, its $80 for a haircut and they speak reasonable english.

Also try the filipino salons (you'll see the adverts while walking around).

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast