Holiday In California-august

Closed Thread

Smile Holiday In California-august

Planning a holiday in California in August. Air tickets to frisco and back are done..but need help on planning the itenary..hotel/tours/car hires??? Trip is for 7 days..ANY THOUGHTS??

FUN! Take in a show in the Theater District, go clubbing in SOMA, walk around Union Square, drive down the Pacific Coast Highway, stop at Hoover Dam, Carmel for lunch, spend some time in LA, keep going into Tijuana, Mexico (park the car and walk across, your car insurance doesn't cover you across the border). 7 days isn't enough - drive across to the Grand Canyon or Vegas for some kicks, or if you don't have time for that go to Tahoe for a (really) miniature version.

enjoy, you're lucky :-)

If you really do want a unique experience .. do the Burning Man.

http://www.burningman.com/

Might just get to meet some celebs.

http://pic.templetons.com/brad/pano/bman03.html

more here....

Smile

i was there for 10 days over the new year. and very nice it was, too. we started off in sf and drove down the coast to the mountains then up to sf again. the pacific coast highway (right on the coast) should be lovely at this time of year. there are a lot of small towns around there (eg santa cruz), vineyards etc. obviously the mountains are more of a winter thing, but a whole week in sf might be bit long for you.
    the nicest part imo is the 'gay village' and surrounding areas -the castro- with lots of cafes and bars and interesting shops. don't bother with fisherman's wharf-is just a tacky tourist rip-off.
    we hired a car with alamo- though I couldn't actually drive it myself as under 25 is either much more expensive/ not possible (can't remember which) . btw the traffic round sf itself is notoriously sh*t. I had a great time -enjoy!

Bad as they are though, you have just GOT to drive those streets for the whole SF experience. Since you're coming from HK, should you bother with the cable car? I found it overrated, personnally. The architecture is wonderful, however, and the Chinatown is the oldest in NA apparantly. If you are into touristy, check out Alcatraz while you're there.

Just asked someone "in the know" and they recommended this for the less adventurous.

http://www.threebabes.com/

Thanks for the Insights

Thanks for the grt ideas..Burning man sounds like fun..wow !!!! but sadly will be back in HK before it starts..althought three babes is doable!!!Planning first three days in frisco and then driving down to to LA....checking out the small towns on the way...maybe strech a little and do mexico!!!! I am already smiling!!!!!!!!!!:-))))))))

>> Burning man sounds like fun..wow !!!

It is a part of my sheduled mid-life crisis plan.

Round trip from SF to LA takes 2 days

I am from the SF Bay area. I usually stay home in the SF Bay area during the summer - cooler.

One thing that I do want to remind you is that it can be very cold in San Fran during the summer. Fog is the name of the game here in August. The temperature can change from 50 degree F to 100 degree F within 30 miles from San Francisco depending on your direction. Mark Twain wrote that he spent the cold summer in SF. Bring layers of clothes and convertible pants/shirts And, it seldom rains in the summer.

If you have 7 days, you need 2 days for a round trip from SF to LA/SD/Mexico. It will take at least 8 hours on Route 101 or 12 hours on
    Route 1, the coastal route. If you take Highway 5, it will take 8 hours. We usually drive at 80-95 mph on the main stretch (note that the speed limit is 65 mph) between SF/LA on Highway 5 which is not a very scenic route. Stay on the right hand lane and pass on left if you need it but make sure that you return to the right hand lane before the cops spot you.

There are plenty to be seen in the Northern California. You probably can spend more than 7 days there, IMHO. If you arrange correctly, you probably can spend 2 days the most in the city i.e. San Francisco proper. One day in the Napa ( 4 hours drive round trip), one day in Muir Woods/Point Reyes/Sausalito/Marin Headland, one day in the South Bay (including San Jose Tech Museum), Saratoa (Hakone), Woodside( Filoli ), Half Moon Bay and Santa Cruz, one day in Camel/Monetary area including Pebble Beach/17 Miles drive, 1 day in Sacramento (the capital of California) area , 1 day in Yosemite (4 hours drive 1 way).

In addition, if you don't want to drive, you can stay in SF as your base and then take some of those 1 days tours from SF to the attractions.

SF is the most beautiful city in US. But, don't expect that it is cleaner and safer than Hong Kong. Hong Kong is just a different beast, compared to a lot of places in the world.

Please enjoy your visit.