taking helper to France

taking helper to France

Would love to hear from anyone who has taken a helper to France. We are not French but are looking to take ours with us over the summer. Is it easier/harder/the same to get them a visa if you are not a French citizen? How long can they stay? Any other things that we should know?

Cheers.

I would imagine it would be just a matter of linking your helpers nation to the French Immigration departments usual tourist visa application criteria.

I am assuming that your helper is either Indonesian or a Philippines national, which are 2 countries that are required to apply for a short term visa. Not indifferent to HK's immigration policy, but I assume France will grant a 90 day short term visa inline with both your passage free passports, US and Australian citizens get 90 days automatically.

Might be a good idea to visit the French consulate with your helper and while filling out the application, providing supporting/ legitimate documentation that states that she is your employee.

I doubt it will be a problem unless France has a special restriction on how many days an Indo/Phils citizen can stay there, less than the typical 90 days issued etc ..

Last edited by Skyhook; 16-03-2009 at 08:14 PM.

Mat

You should probably call the French Consulate in HK:

Location and opening hours - Consulat gnral de France Hong Kong et Macao

(+852) 3752 9900

er2

A question they might ask is whether the helper will just enjoy the food and wine here, or whether she'll actually be your "helper" there, which would most likely be illegal....

i'm a filipina helper and i've been in france for two months.what I know is they have certain contract to sign for the helper and employer and you need to give her salary base in their wage in france.you should go to french consulate so that it will be more clear for you.

Surely it depends on how long you go for? A friend of mine took their nanny (not a DH, but an employee none the less) and did not seem to need any special contract or anything.

Don't expect the process to be trivial though. Mrs smog has been going through the process of getting a Schengen visa for a quick holiday shortly, and the file with all the paperwork and associated instructions etc is now nearly an inch thick! I will have spent as long on all the running around to get the visa as we are actually going to stay in Europe! And that's as the wife of an EU citizen (amongst the paperwork being all the stuff necessary because they don't take HK Marriage certificates as is - they need loads more stuff to "prove" that the certificate is valid).

Last edited by PDLM; 17-03-2009 at 12:14 AM.

Thanks all. I'd heard it was a little complicated which is why I wanted to get feedback from people here before calling the consulate.