CHINA Train tickets - IMPOSSIBLE!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CHINA Train tickets - IMPOSSIBLE!

Big group of us (inc kids) are planning an overnight train trip from Shenzhen to Guilin but we are having total nightmares getting the tickets.

We first approached China Travel Service but they only had a small allocation of tickets and said that to get more, we would have to go to Shenzhen ourselves to get the tickets.

There are no tickets for sale online. Also no telephone number to call to check that tickets are actually on sale yet!!!

Apparently, some tickets are only on sale between 4-10 days before travel!

We are planning actually to travel up abd buy the tickets ourselves but are worried they won't even be on sale yet.

We found a couple of agents in China who would get us the train tickets so that we would pay 240 USD + for a taxi service the other end AND they would only give us the tickets on the day of travel IN Shenzhen - we are terrified that at this stage they will hold us to ransom and make us pay for the tickets ++++

Anyone have experience, advice, help?
    Anyone know someone/agent who would do the Shenzhen run for us at a small premium?

welcome to china. you might be better off asking the guy in seat 61. how big is your group? there are always seats on chinese trains. you have to go through guangzhou. shenzhen to guangzhou (east station) runs every 15 minutes. guanghzou to guilin is a different story.

Sleeper train tickets to many parts of China are very difficult to get due massive demand /undersupply

The best bet for you is to go to Shenzen Lowu station(just across the border crossing) in person and get them yourself -only once you have the tickets in hand wil you be sure you can travel and that they are genuine tickets.

it is very easy to do but best get a chinese speaker with you as no one at the counters speak english

advance availabilty seems to very according to destination-i have bought 1 month in advance and others a week and to other destinations ie gz jeungmuktau etc on the day

if it is important then go well in advance as see the advice they give you on the day

CTS is the agent in Hong Kong. I also think they charge HK$100 a ticket, so it is not cheap. The best way is to send someone to Shenzhen to buy the tickets in person. That person will need a Chinese visa - multi entry is best, or a home return permit.

If getting train tickets is a problem, why don't you fly from Shenzhen to Guilin? You can get discounted tickets by booking at the right time. Look on sites such as Travelzen or you can book in CTS.

If you are staying in Yangshuo, then get the hotel to pick you up from the airport/ train station. Maybe you can get the train back to Shenzhen from Guilin - agents in China will charge around 40rmb a ticket.

Last edited by drumbrake; 23-03-2009 at 03:38 PM.

Happyfeet - there is an agent located in the Hung Hom train station that will purchase Shenzhen - Guilin overnight train tickets for you. I have used them twice with no problems so far. They do charge HK$100 per ticket surcharge, but worth it I think. You can pick up your tickets 10 days in advance - theoretically they may not be able to secure your tickets, but if not, you get your money back and still have 10 days to find alternate transport, but both times they got our tickets no problem.

I'd like to give you the name/phone number of the place, but unfortunately I don't know it - I only know roughly where the stall is in the station. If you exit the the MTR turnstiles in the main concourse, and turn right (south) down the middle aisle of shops, it's on the left side, 2nd or 3rd to last stall - next to some sort of hotel booking office I think??? The sign does say something about China train tickets, so you should be able to find it eventually. Unfortunately that's the most specific I can give you without having a station layout map. It's worth checking them out, or asking about it again at CTS - they are the ones that originally gave me the booth number long ago...good luck!

Thanks, that is very helpful.
    Have been trying to call CTS but just nobody answering phone lines...

do we need to pay cash or accept credit card?

Also, do they need passport numbers?

No need for passport numbers. Don't know about credit cards - paid cash each time.

Quote Originally Posted by cjjlee:
    Happyfeet - there is an agent located in the Hung Hom train station that will purchase Shenzhen - Guilin overnight train tickets for you. I have used them twice with no problems so far. They do charge HK$100 per ticket surcharge, but worth it I think. You can pick up your tickets 10 days in advance - theoretically they may not be able to secure your tickets, but if not, you get your money back and still have 10 days to find alternate transport, but both times they got our tickets no problem.

I'd like to give you the name/phone number of the place, but unfortunately I don't know it - I only know roughly where the stall is in the station. If you exit the the MTR turnstiles in the main concourse, and turn right (south) down the middle aisle of shops, it's on the left side, 2nd or 3rd to last stall - next to some sort of hotel booking office I think??? The sign does say something about China train tickets, so you should be able to find it eventually. Unfortunately that's the most specific I can give you without having a station layout map. It's worth checking them out, or asking about it again at CTS - they are the ones that originally gave me the booth number long ago...good luck!
    Do you know if they do other train tickets? I'm keen to get some Shanghai to Suzhou tickets for my trip in July.....

Moving, I don't know about other routes, sorry...But if you find anything out, please post back here. I'd like to know if it is possible or not.

Be advised that you may not be able to buy sleeper tickets in advance, a common practice is to purchase the lowest fare class (i.e. hard seat) and then upgrade when you get on the train.

I'm not sure if this is the offcial procedure or not but I've only ever bought soft sleeper tickets in advance from 'friends' who work for the railway, normally with a small 'service' fee.

I hope that the purchasing process of China train tickets moves into the 21st century soon as travelling in soft sleeper (especially 2 bed cabin) is a great way to see the country.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast