Can I post a letter to China with an English address on it?

Closed Thread

Can I post a letter to China with an English address on it?

I want to send a deposit to a guest house in Yunnan - the cost of wiring the deposit is about the same as the deposit! - but I only have his address in English (and could not write characters even if I had them!).

Will it get there? Anybody done this before?

Which hostel? Is it on hostelbookers.com (or something similar) - that way you just need to pay a 5% deposit to reserve your room.

If you do post the deposit, I think an address using pinyin would get there - but I'd be concerned about the cash inside the envelope.

Ask a friend here in HK to write it in Chinese for you.....?????

U must have it written in Chinese, Even when i get my factories to send me stuff to HK, they always want the Chinese address as the couriers dont read English so it should be the same the other direction. Get someone to help you or ask the hostel to email the address to you in chinese and get someone maybe a security guard or to help you copy it.

I'd be weary if you are sending cash in an envelope to mainland China - I would suggest sending it via courier DHL or SF Express that way they can also take care of the Chinese writing for you too.

Thanks for the suggestions. I figured it out in the end - got the guy on the other end (a very small hotel, not on any site) to email me the address in chinese characters and have printed it out and selotaped to the front of the envelope. It's only 200RMB - the cost of bank transfer or a courier is just not justified!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I figured it out in the end - got the guy on the other end (a very small hotel, not on any site) to email me the address in chinese characters and have printed it out and selotaped to the front of the envelope. It's only 200RMB - the cost of bank transfer or a courier is just not justified!
    You should use SF Express, they are quite cheap and we use them the most for cross border documents, Fed-ex / Dhl / Ups are more expensive.