Where to rent a cell phone for a week in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red face Where to rent a cell phone for a week in HK?

I am planning to visit HK for a week, and I am just wondering if there is any good place to rent a cell phone for just one week.

Airport? Or somewhere close to Central? Hotel?

How about the price? Deposit? Charge per day?

Can anyone here direct me to a web site for more info?

Another Q:
    What is the best way to call back US while I am in HK?
    Calling card?
    Where and which company's card is good to buy?

Thanks a lot in adavance.

You may find it easier and cheaper to buy an unlocked GSM phone on eBay.

Then once you get here, you can buy a prepaid SIM card.

If you have friends locally in HKG, they can pick up a SIM card for you for about HK$100

You have 3 choices:

a) do as tsuiwah suggests and buy an unlocked phone.

b) just buy a phone here. I've seen a place in Chung King Mansions that sells phones for as low as 250 HKD (around 35 USD), which I'd bet is lower than the total for a week-rental would be (at 35 USD, you're only paying 5 a day).

c) wait for someone to direct you to a place that rents.

as for calling the states:

By far the cheapest way to do it is through IDD calling. I bought a phone card once, and for 50 HKD, I got about 30 minutes. But with an IDD SIM card (my service is SmarTone, though I know there are others), I bought a 100 HKD prepaid SIM card, and if I dial 1653 before calling the US, I pay .50 HKD/minute. So far, after about 100 minutes of calling home, I still have around 40 HKD left on the card.

Lost in Shenzhen and Hong Kong mostly ..........

Another option ...........bring your current mobile to a phone shop, one thats capable of unlocking from your current network . This will enable you to use the network you are on now plus any other network WW . Once you get to HK buy a pay-as-you-go SIM card , any of the small phone shops sell them , of which there are many . They coast about HK$100 and include credit , they can also be IDD or just local HK.
    Anyway thats what I did with mine and it worked. Saves buying a second phone and u will alsways have ur HK # once it is in credit.

Orrrrrrrrr ........many of the hotels in HK will rent you a phone + number for a short period .

PCCW and 3 have shops at the Airport.

I think one of them does rentals.

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/s...g_telecom.html

IF you bring your current mobile, make sure its a tri or quad band mobile. If it belongs to T-mobile, I know for a fact that you can call their customer service and they'll give you the unlock code if you've been with them for over 3 or 6 months and you tell them you're going overseas.

I'd buy from [ame]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?link_code=ur2&camp=1789&tag=youreviewnet-20&creative=9325&path=tg/browse/-/408238[/ame] section before buying from ebay ..

Cingular gives the unlock code as well. They cannot deny this code as a matter of policy.

have a look
    http://roam.hkcsl.com/eng/rent/rent.htm

home page is http://1010.hkcsl.com/jsp/per_servic...p?language=eng
    see the 'Visitors to HK' at the top.

LIT,

I think that is illegal

Maybe I'm wrong, though. It would be a killer business to subscribe to loads of services in the states that provide a free (locked) phone with the subscription, come to hk, unlock them, and cancel your subscription.

If you cancel your subscription they will still charge you (works like the contracts here in HK). For example my Cingular phone was on a 1 year subscription contract.

Lost in Shenzhen and Hong Kong mostly ..........

If you are with your carrier for a good while .....6months or more ....they don't have an issue ...at least where I'm from .....not sure what the situation is in the states .

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast