Like Tree1Likes

Singapore to Tioman by ferry?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hi Bryan, I was referring to the fact that many websites are still posting that you can access Tioman by ferry from Mersing. Were you only referring to the Singapore-Tioman? It just seems so strange that a resort like Japamala would continue to advertise Mersing as a method of reaching their resort, along with other tourist information sites.
    Happy New Year to you too!

Sue, he specifically mentioned ferries Mersing to Tioman. I was there a few years ago and it was already pandemonium trying to get onto the boats; I can't imagine it's got any better if there has been a reduction in service. The speedboats have been 'suspended until further notice' since 2008, probably because of the fatal accident a few years ago. The official Tioman site (tioman) only mentions the slow boats, which could indeed be a bottleneck. I'd imagine the posh resorts rely on air passengers.

Has anyone been to Tioman recently? Went in 06 and there seemed to be an open sewage pipe into the sea right by the ferry port! Just wondering if the authorities cleaned up or not

No idea if the authorities have done anything but great snorkelling with good visibility a few bays down from the ferry port. Water around the port did seem murky but then you always seem to get that around a port. Was there in 2008 and 2010.

Hi Satay Sue,

I'm not sure why you'd think I said that there are no more ferries at all that go to Tioman. My post says:

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Norman:
    please note that there's now only one sole ferry operator remaining that goes to Tioman
    I didn't say there are no more ferries going to Tioman.

I was referring to the fact that, yes, the ferry from Tioman to Tioman has been discontinued, along with the so-called "fast-ferries", the speedboats, and the slow bumboats.

In other words, only the regular ferries are still doing the Mersing-Tioman-Mersing runs.

Cheers.

Hi Gronks,

I've never seen that sewage pipe. There is a small creek that runs from up the hillside at Tekek down to the beach, near the marina, but it just carries water, rainwater that was deposited up on the mountains behind the kampongs. There are no open sewage drains in Tioman. Don't think it would be tenable.

Bryan, are you, perchance, in the tourism business?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Norman:
    Hi Satay Sue,

I'm not sure why you'd think I said that there are no more ferries at all that go to Tioman. My post says:

I didn't say there are no more ferries going to Tioman.

I was referring to the fact that, yes, the ferry from Tioman to Tioman has been discontinued, along with the so-called "fast-ferries", the speedboats, and the slow bumboats.

In other words, only the regular ferries are still doing the Mersing-Tioman-Mersing runs.

Cheers.
    The reason I thought you meant that was because you posted the following on a question asking about Singapore to Tioman:
    "As an update to this post, since it shows up at as a Google result, please note that there's now only one sole ferry operator remaining that goes to Tioman. The fast ferries and the slow ferries from Mersing to Tioman have also ceased opertations.][
    I read this, as did Raccon, that no ferries serve Tioman from Mersing.

Glad that got cleared up....

Cool, sorted

Hi Stoob,

Not really in the tourism biz. I work in IT, but I do have an interest in Malaysia, in particular the East Coast and Tioman.

Are you located in hong Kong? How's the winds there? Is there a decent windsurfing community in Hong Kong?