7 days in HK for vacation, recommendation please

Closed Thread

7 days in HK for vacation, recommendation please

Hi!

I am planning to spend 1 week in HK end of april. Could somebody recommend me places and things I can do in a week? Any tips for hotels, areas, shopping, etc would be great! i plan to go to Macau too in between.

Thanks!

HK: Temple street aka Night Market (Jordan), Jade market (Jordan, Ladies Market (Mong Kok), Peak (Above Central), Stanley Market (Stanley). Just remember not to buy any electrical goods from shops around Nathan road that dont have any price's labeled on the product, they are rip off joints. Stick to places like Fortress, Broadway etc.

Sai Kung for a Saturday or Sunday afternoon and take a short boat trip to one of the islands if you have time.

Big Buddha and Tai O (fishing village built on stilts) both on Lantau Island.

Ocean Park is definitely a good place to go for a day.

HK Wetlands Park is one of the best nature parks you will ever experience - that is the best part of a day as it is in Tin Shui Wah, NT.

The Peak as noted...but take an hour and walk around the mountain just to the west of the main Peak buildings. If it is a nice day, it is good to be there as it gets dark and the best place to get a photo at night as the lights come on is where the local photographers go and that is not up on top of the building but on that trail (road as it is used for cars) It takes 55 min to go right around.

Mong Kok at night is the most exciting place for crowds and people. Not so sure you get great bargains there but if you are looking for good outlet stores you will need a local friend who knows them there and in Prince Edward etc.

Lan Kwai Fong - bar area at night is the best time (weekends is busier).

A slow but nice ride to a lot of HK Island is the tram to the end of the line at Shau Kei Wan and then either go to the Naval Museum which is great for history ( a bit of a walk) or check out the temples there.

If you did that you can then get a bus there to Stanley Market (I forget the number but locals will know it. I think it starts at the Shau Kei Wan bus terminal but I do know it runs by the Sai Wan Ho MTR Station. If you went that way you'd see the eastern side of HK Island and a gorgeous view of Tai Tam Reservoir and the ocean as the bus heads over it.

If you are in Shau Kei Wan and want to head to a nice beach, Shekou is accessible by bus. I am not sure if you get to Stanley after that or if you'd have to go back to the same place to get that but that is doable. Shekou is also nice at night.

The temple at Wong Tai Sin and many others are most tourists list. Some of the better ones are not as close as this one.

Thanks

Thanks all!

Could anybody recommend hotel in hk island, maybe near the night life and also in kowloon? Something less than $150/night is good.

Thanks

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by ssg10:
    Something less than $150/night is good.

Thanks
    Specify which country the $ sign is for because HK$150 is very little.

Actually US$150, AUD$150 or CAD$150 aren't that much for a hotel in Hong Kong.
    Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 14-04-2009 at 02:51 PM.

well it depends if you want to stay in a hostel or 5 star hotel

2nd floor (although it's billed as 3rd) in Jordan walkup

I know a little place in Mong Kok for HK$150 a night-- not bad... roomy, proper en-suite (no horrible plastic cubicle!), clean, TV, alarm call. Also 2/F so no queueing for lifts as in chungking!

More upscale, how about 5* Langham Place Hotel, also Mong Kok. I had a couple of friends plan to stay there for three nights and then stay with me for the rest of the week to save cash... well they didn't want to leave the hotel, decided to splurge on the extra days. Prob could get US$150 there from an agent.

what's the name of this 'little place'?

YMCA in TST provide hostel service