Infant Fares (under the age of 2 years old)

Infant Fares (under the age of 2 years old)

I am planning a trip to London with my family (wife and 2 infant kids) and I very much would like to fly Cathay Pacific, however, I noticed that their infant fare is double the price in comparison to British Airways, Singapore Airlines and the other airlines. In fact they are the most expensive out of the major carriers. I'm wondering why and can this be negotiated with the airline?

they are usually more expensive than other airlines even with the full adult fares.

You can always call up reservations and ask for their prices and try to negotiate. or book later and hope the fares will be cheaper or ther will be some promotion?

It may also have to do with what they offer? some airlines do not offer a seat for under 2s (they have to sit on the parents lap), they may say they offer some sort of child games packages on board etc etc.

I thought that infant fares are 10% of full fares, which are pretty much fixed for most airlines..

not sure about the double in price if this is the case...

I noticed that as well when looking to buy tickets. Not sure why Cathy Pacific does that but I decided to go with United and like another posted, they only charged about 10% of what a regular ticket would cost. Not sure why because they are on your lap. If you really want to fly Cathy Pacific, I would just buy regular tickets for your two children and put them in carseats. When I flew United, I was lucky enough to get bulk head seating with an empty seat beside me and I put my 3 month old in a carseat beside me and she had never slept better; the whole trip she just ate and slept. On the way back she was a little older 4.5 months and we held her which wasn't near as easy and she cried for almost five hours until we got a bassinet to put by our feet, then she slept. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by due2008
    they only charged about 10% of what a regular ticket would cost. Not sure why because they are on your lap.
    Because you need extra fuel, food, emergency equipment and so on.